Is there a curved type of needle that I can stitch these swell patches up with?

I have place a piece of leather in underneath to patch the holes.

I’ve tried to take off the swell, but the rigging is attached into the swell and I can’t get it undone to replace the entire swell cover.

any ideas how to stitch the two bits together? I was thinking maybe a curved needle?. 

IMG_7287.jpeg

IMG_7286.jpeg

IMG_7285.jpeg

43 minutes ago, rastanley said:

Is there a curved type of needle that I can stitch these swell patches up with?

Moved your post to "Saddle Identification, Restoration & Repair".  I think you will get more info here to help you.

You can buy curved needles but you can also make your own very simply

1. take a straight needle of your choice

2. hold it in a pair of pliers

3. using a cigarette lighter, apply the flame to the centre of the needle until it glows red

4. whilst it glows red push it gently against a hard surface, such as the edge of a desk

5. the needle will bend into a curve

Its quicker to do than to read how to

1 hour ago, fredk said:

You can buy curved needles but you can also make your own very simply

1. take a straight needle of your choice

2. hold it in a pair of pliers

3. using a cigarette lighter, apply the flame to the centre of the needle until it glows red

4. whilst it glows red push it gently against a hard surface, such as the edge of a desk

5. the needle will bend into a curve

Its quicker to do than to read how to

One can also attempt to force a size 4 needle through a previous stitch in a tight hole and bend it to curve that way. Results not guaranteed. 

@rastanley I'd buy a small envelope of curved needles, get some that are around 1.5" (38 mm) in length. (As far as I remember the strange measuring system of curved needles, they measure the distance between the eye end and the tip straight across. Kind of like the opening of the needle).

Also get a curved awl. For most repair jobs on saddles I use a curved awl that is round. You can also get one that is diamond shaped, but normally the leather where it needs patching is worn really thin, so I prefer to make as small a hole as possible - hence the round awl.

Try to use a backstitch, so you only have one thread and one needle. The curved awl will help navigating to the next hole. Also you'll probably need some pliers to steer and push the curved needle. They tend to be weirdly difficult to use just by hand.

Brgds Jonas

looks like a job for a curved shoe makers awl and 2.5 inch curved needle .

I would use veg tan leather wet molded over where you want to put it trim it down to size . Pre awl the patch. Place it back on the saddle with some glue (temporary ) awl the saddle using the same holes as the patch using the patch as a template . very loosley stitch the patch About 2-3 inches loose .Once you have gone around once . you can pull the stitching tight and conceal most of  it . I use a similar technique of loose stitch when making or repairing soccer and footballs . I saw a greek cobbler making  soccer ball 40 years ago . and after inserting the bladder he loose stitch the last panel in . I am not sure if thats the way they are made around the world but it worked for him and has worked for me .

Another method is to wet mold veg tan leather over the area as well as you can and then use cobblers nails . You can even hide the nails by using the blind stitch trick where the edges if leather is sliced about 1/2 inch deep through the side  folded back , nailed then glued back over . I am a shoe maker so i think like a shoe maker . I am sure a saddler would have his method . I am actually interested in how a saddler would tackle it . I will keep watching this thread and see what evolves .