Southerngunner

I don't think that I can pass this deal up.

My dealer still has this old Singer 168W-101 that I almost bought 1-1/2 years ago. I'm pretty sure that I don't need it since I already have ,a cobra 26, consew 206 rb -2, and a  econosew 18"arm 29 k copy.

I gave him a call today and he said that I could have it for $250.00 with the table clutch motor and light and bobbin winder.

I'm supposed to go get it next week, he said he is tired of looking at it.

I hope I'm not  making a mistake. 

Screenshot_20240531_141238_Google.jpg

A walking foot post-bed for $250! No mistake, I reckon you've done well! Just ditch the clutch motor and you'll be laughing.

5 minutes ago, dikman said:

A walking foot post-bed for $250! No mistake, I reckon you've done well! Just ditch the clutch motor and you'll be laughing.

As soon as I get it here and cleaned up the servo will be on the way if it doesn't need and other serious repairs

After a year and a half of using my other machines I am comfortable enough to find my way around my first post machine. I still have a lot to learn but I'm not afraid to tear into one now and troubleshoot it. Thanks to the very knowledgeable and helpful folks on the forum, I'm sure that I will have some dumb questions  before it's all said and done

I own a Singer 168g101 and love it for sewing patches onto vests and hats.

7 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I own a Singer 168g101 and love it for sewing patches onto vests and hats.

What is the difference between the g and the w models ?

G is made in Germany W is made in USA otherwise the same machine (depending on sub class) and interchangeable parts.

Thanks for the explanation.

Well I went to the shop today and took a closer look at the 168W-101. It did not have any knee or foot pedal presser lift option besides the one behind the needle bar. The front cover was missing and there was a broken off screw that would hold the plate. 

I had to screw around for almost an hour to get it to pick up the  bobbin thread, the walking foot appeared to work properly as I got it to stitch eventually by turning  the hand wheel.

The drive belt didn't look like it was been replaced for several years as the edges showed some slight fraying.

The owner of the shop hasn't touched it since it got there on consignment over 2 years ago and wanted to sell it as is.  

He did not have a belt for me to try it plugged in. There was enough little alarms going off in my head that I wasn't willing to take a chance with it ( I dont need another project that I propbably can't get parts for). It was a cool machine nonetheless and eventually I may end up with  post machine just not today.

It was probably worth the $250. But I did end up passing on it

Edited by Southerngunner

That's a shame, but I can understand you being wary when it comes to very old machines as parts can be a problem. Me, I would have grabbed it as walking foot post beds aren't exactly common. But then, I can be a glutton for punishment!

54 minutes ago, dikman said:

That's a shame, but I can understand you being wary when it comes to very old machines as parts can be a problem. Me, I would have grabbed it as walking foot post beds aren't exactly common. But then, I can be a glutton for punishment!

Usually I'm a glutton for punishment as well but instead of hearing "I told you so" from the little lady for buying someone else's problem I passed on the 168W-101.

I think that my next machine will be a new 441 style, if I'm going to get in trouble it's either going to be go big or stay on the porch.

Edited by Southerngunner

4 minutes ago, Southerngunner said:

Usually I'm a glutton for punishment as well but instead of hearing "I told you so" from the little lady for buying someone else's problem I passed o the 168W-101.

I think that my next machine will be a new 441 style, if I'm going to get in trouble it's either going to be go big or stay on the porch.

Edited by Southerngunner
Duplicate post please remove