LarryG337

Looking for advice for a newbie

I'm just getting started and do not plan on this being a business, only a hobby. I am very confused as to what type of sewing machine I need. I'm looking at the Tandy Outlaw but have thought of electric models. I would like to do belts, guitar straps, wallets, knife sheaths, and possibly holster. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I would like to stay in the price range of the Outlaw if possible. I purchased one of the Chinese machines for about $125 but have given up on it. If anyone wants a fishing weight, they can have it. Thanks in advance. 

I wrote a long topic answering your very question. It is a pinned topic about the type of sewing machine you need to sew leather.

I didn't address pricing. That's on the buyer to search for the best deal on a suitable machine. At least you'll learn what to look for and what to avoid.

As you are looking at the Cowboy Outlaw this may be of use to you given your location to the seller.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/117212-tippmann-boss/

Hope this helps

JCUK

Read Wiz's sticky, it's THE starting point to understanding leather sewing machines.

Note that if you want to make holsters with a sewing machine then that straight away puts you into the heavy machine class, usually a 441 clone.

8 hours ago, LarryG337 said:

I'm looking at the Tandy Outlaw but have thought of electric models. I would like to do belts, guitar straps, wallets, knife sheaths, and possibly holster. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I agree the link to @Wizcrafts is probably the best information you can read and like @dikman said the holster puts you into the class 441 machines. Tandy's one armed bandit, TandyPro® Cowboy Outlaw, does fall into that class of machines. I really seriously looked the one armed bandits and nearly bought one but in the end decided to go with a Juki TSC-441 clone. For me the main drawback is having to pull that lever every-time to make a stitch. They do have their place just wouldn't fit my needs / wants / desires. Keep in mind there isn't one machine that will do everything well that is why a lot of us have more then one machine, patchers, flatbeds and cylinder arm, each suited to do particular types of tasks.

Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

Edited by kgg