AK47T

Singer 211G155 vs Adler 67GK373

Hello! I am new to this forum and to leather working. I have been giving the opportunity to take my pick of either a Singer 211G155 or an Adler 67GK373. Supposedly both run, but they have been sitting unused in a garage for a few years. I am going to drive over there and try them out next weekend. I'm not new to sewing machines, but I'm not confident in my abilities to assess how well they run. Assuming both seem to run fine, any recommendations on which would be a better choice? I've read that the Singer doesn't have reverse, but I'm aware there are work arounds to that. And I'm assuming the Singer will be easier to find parts for in the US. I've also read not to take the Adler if it doesn't have a rubber belt. Is one better than the other for beginner leather work? Does one of them handle certain materials better than the other? Anything else that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any input!

As long as the Adler has the rubber timing belt it would be a better choice w/reverse & the handwheel is larger & it will run slower than the 211.And would sew 138 easier than the 211.

I have a Singer 211G156 that I bought during the 2020 shutdowns, so I could sew at home. That machine has a small diameter pulley on the balance wheel and is meant to be run FAST. I put a servo motor on it to get better slow speed control, which helps. However, at the slowest settings the motor won't turn the machine over unless I spin the wheel. That machine was made to sew long runs of upholstery leather and other materials. Also, despite being an upholstery machine, it only uses a 1x G style bobbin.

In case you do end up with the Singer, you can run #138 thread in it, but only if you get a speed reducer to increase the punching power. The G size bobbin will hold enough #138 thread to sew about 8 or 9 mens belts. Aside from the small pulley and G bobbin, it's a great walking foot machine. I use it to sew in zippers, or do seat covers. I don't use it for small leather projects.