badhatter1005

1911 holster pattern. 3.5 inch. Possible thumb break.

Looking for a pattern for a 1911. No rail with a 3.5 in barrel. Outside the waistband preferably with a thumb break. I'm a big guy but I need something I can conceal. Something that will sit flat against the body. Any suggestions please.

4 hours ago, badhatter1005 said:

Looking for a pattern for a 1911. No rail with a 3.5 in barrel. Outside the waistband preferably with a thumb break. I'm a big guy but I need something I can conceal. Something that will sit flat against the body. Any suggestions please.

Badhatter . . . this is one of the single most comfortable OWB I have ever made.

Your belt slips thru a slide before the holster . . . behind it . . . and then thru another one.

If you are interested . . . I can fix you up . . . just let me know.  

The one you see there . . . is an officer's model SA 1911 . . . with thumb break

May God bless,

Dwight

slide cake.jpg

5 hours ago, badhatter1005 said:

Looking for a pattern for a 1911

Moved your post to Gun Holsters, etc.

3 hours ago, Dwight said:

Badhatter . . . this is one of the single most comfortable OWB I have ever made.

Your belt slips thru a slide before the holster . . . behind it . . . and then thru another one.

If you are interested . . . I can fix you up . . . just let me know.  

The one you see there . . . is an officer's model SA 1911 . . . with thumb break

May God bless,

Dwight

slide cake.jpg

@Dwight I am intrigued by this design trying to figure out how the back looks for the belt to go through. Can you maybe share pictures or an explanation?

@Dwight I would certainly appreciate it. I've tried out several patterns and none of them seem to work for me. However that one does look comfortable. I would be willing to give it a try. Thanks.

I swear, this is the best forum that I have ever been involved with.

Dwight, would you be so kind as to inform me on how to get a copy of your 1911 pattern?

Thank you in advance.

Cranky.

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

I swear, this is the best forum that I have ever been involved with.

Dwight, would you be so kind as to inform me on how to get a copy of your 1911 pattern?

Thank you in advance.

Cranky.

I'll get that later on . . . but there is a guy about a 100 miles from you . . . carries a SA XD with double stack .45ACP . . . on horseback . . . loves it.

I'd tell you to go see it there . . . but he is so far out in the sticks . . . they won't even deliver his mail . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Cdk . . . I am intrigued by this design trying to figure out how the back looks for the belt to go through. Can you maybe share pictures or an explanation?

Cranky . . . .Dwight, would you be so kind as to inform me on how to get a copy of your 1911 pattern?

Here is another makers version of my slide cake . . . 

Mine is a bit different . . . but this gives you the general idea.

For all practicality . . . it is pancake . . . .and the ears are widened . . . and not glued together.

May God bless,

Dwight

wilsonlopro.jpg

wilsonlopro2.jpg

Very cool! I like it.

Very nice design, Dwight. Thank you for sharing this. I favor the avenger style of holsters but I will make a reference pattern & holster for my 1911 using this layout. Hmm, I could also do the “hidden slot” on an avenger.

Hello Dwight,

Not only is this a Very nice design but the stitching is also very nice!!

Dwight if possible I would very much like to get the Pattern for this and what type of machine did you use to stitch it??

Also what leather did you use!!  The dye job looks excellent as well!!

Thanks in Advance!!

Bill

6 hours ago, casull45450 said:

Hello Dwight,

Not only is this a Very nice design but the stitching is also very nice!!

Dwight if possible I would very much like to get the Pattern for this and what type of machine did you use to stitch it??

Also what leather did you use!!  The dye job looks excellent as well!!

Thanks in Advance!!

Bill

Honestly, Bill . . . I really don't use "patterns" per se . . . I have a handful of "outlines" that I use to start a holster . . . but all of mine are pretty much one of a kind . . . each one slightly different.

If you can make a pancake holster . . . you can make this.  it is essentially a pancake . . . with the wings that normally are two pieces glued and sewn together . . . they are left open out at the end . . . and the belt slips between the two pieces of leather.  Plus those wings are a bit wider than a normal pancake would be.

The machine was a Tippmann Boss . . . 24 yr old aluminum job . . . 

It is 6 oz Tandy veg tan leather . . . but I don't mess with oz . . . I use a dial measuring tool . . . this one measured out at .107 is some places and .095 in a couple others.  That is basically 6 oz . . . but again . . . I take my dial indicator to Tandy's and buy the leather I want . . . according to the thickness I need for forseeable jobs.

Dye is Feibings pro oil . . . cut 50/50 with feibings reducer.

Now don't laugh . . . the picture below is the back of the pretty black holster you've already seen.  This is several years later . . . and several modifications later.  I've used it as a catch bin for ideas and practice stuff . . . hence all the rivets . . . the snap . . . the hole . . . but it still fits my little 1911 very nicely and I sometimes carry it.  It is THE most comfortable OWB I have.

You can see the stitch pattern on the back of it.  Pretty simple.

The stitches look white and ugly . . . it is from a white dust I get in my shop . . . I gave it a quick wipe down for the picture . . . but some is still in the stitches.

May God bless,

Dwight

slide cake back.jpg

Edited by Dwight

Thanks!! Dwight