kgg

Stealerships

I needed to rent a cargo van like as I needed to pickup 9 sheets of 4' x 8' HDPE. I figured I would rent one from a local stealership who over the years sold me two new cars. They had one, price was OK and offered full coverage so if anything happen all I needed to do was pass the keys back if anything happened to the vehicle. So far things sound good.

The dirtbag said the truck is out front, I've check and noted the couple of scratches on the form. Give me your license, credit card and sign here. Hold on now, lets see the truck first. He noted maybe three dings on the form while I noted at least 20 with my cell phone. He was not a happy camper to see me haul out the cell phone nor I. I said lets see the rental form. The two copies were different. One form had me responsible for the full value of the truck should something happen and the other form noted $5,000. Neither was what I wanted. I said this is wrong so fix it as I wanted full coverage. The dirtbag said this is what we offer. I said "Have a nice day and this will be the last time I ever come to this stealership." There was a couple of colorful words added to that sentence. I would not want to be a buyer if they pull $$$$ like this on a rental.

I drove up the road and rented a cargo van from UHaul who were very professional.

If you ever need to rent a vehicle always check and note with your cell phone anything wrong on the vehicle both inside and outside but most importantly check the paperwork.

That's my rant for today.

kgg

Edited by kgg

Wow, now that's an eye-opener!! Fortunately, I've only ever rented from reputable rental places like U-Haul or Enterprise Rent-a-Car!

Worst thing that happened to me was when I was driving in Scotland (my first time driving on the 'wrong' side of the road) and didn't allow enough clearance between the left side of the car and the rear of a bus. I lost the passenger side mirror. Fortunately, the bus didn't notice ;) , and what the rental car place charged for the damage was less than I'd expected!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

7 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Wow, now that's an eye-opener!!

Yes and they wonder why a lot of car sales people and dealerships are not respected. Wish they got rid of the stealerships all to together and let the customer deal directly with the manufacturers and have factory approved service centers. It would be more profitable for the manufacturer, less cost for the customer and no stealership markups for BS items or market adjustments. What this stealership didn't realize they not only lost out on a rental, no big deal just a couple hundred bucks, they lost out on a new car sale as well. I am planning on purchasing one within the next year. Now I am wondering whether I am even going to buy one of that manufacturers vehicles.

kgg

16 minutes ago, kgg said:

Yes and they wonder why a lot of car sales people and dealerships are not respected. Wish they got rid of the stealerships all to together and let the customer deal directly with the manufacturers and have factory approved service centers. It would be more profitable for the manufacturer, less cost for the customer and no stealership markups for BS items or market adjustments. What this stealership didn't realize they not only lost out on a rental, no big deal just a couple hundred bucks, they lost out on a new car sale as well. I am planning on purchasing one within the next year. Now I am wondering whether I am even going to buy one of that manufacturers vehicles.

kgg

There are crooks everywhere there is money my friend and the more money the more crooks. Auto makers have spent years selling the same cars by adding a new widget every year as an upgrade while making any technological advancements for their manufacturing costs/ bottom line not for the consumers and if it does happen to help the consumer then it also costs more. As well they have made almost impossible to work or even know what is wrong with your own car. Think for a minute why does your cars brain put out a "problem code" only the service center can read when it could just as easily  print out the problem in English so you could read it too. Buyer beware you did good!!!!

I had a similar but different experience many years ago. Had to cancel my credit card to ensure the van rental company could not get payment