Sjm1027

Pricking Iron Set Guide

Is there a guide that I can use to select a pricking iron set? I have read about diamond, French, and crimson-style shaped holes, but I am getting hung up on the spacing. I will be making belts, wallets, and bags. Most of my projects will be medium to small. Then, there is white steel and carbon steel. Would anyone be able to help me in the right direction? 

Thanks

lotta info if ya search:)

1 hour ago, Sjm1027 said:

Is there a guide that I can use to select a pricking iron set?

Take a look through this thread,  You might find some help here.  If not, there are lots more posts in the forum 'sewing leather'.

How we sew is each leatherworker's doctrine.  It depends on your goals.  Lots of great advice in the pinned post that @Northmount shared above.  For me, the first consideration is thread size for a project and the stitch spacing depends on thread size and the leather thickness.  Unless I am sewing on a machine, I will tend to use the finest spacing I can tolerate and an awl that makes the smallest holes to fit the thread. The only time I pre-punch holes is when sewing leather to woven fabric, to avoid cutting the woven threads with an awl.  For example sewing girth straps/billets on the webs of a saddle. For most other projects using an awl ensures that the holes line up and that they aren't too big for the thread.  Looks tidy and makes for stronger seams.  I use a slanted pricking iron or an overstitch wheel to mark the holes, and a $10 sewing awl.  Mostly 9-10 SPI or 6-7 SPI.  I don't do production work.  It is all made to order.  Fine stitching with design details that can't easily be mass produced is how I try to set my work apart.  Using a drill, chisel, or round tooth irons for the holes is against my religion. :)

Edited by TomE

18 hours ago, TomE said:

How we sew is each leatherworker's doctrine.  It depends on your goals.  Lots of great advice in the pinned post that @Northmount shared above.  For me, the first consideration is thread size for a project and the stitch spacing depends on thread size and the leather thickness.  Unless I am sewing on a machine, I will tend to use the finest spacing I can tolerate and an awl that makes the smallest holes to fit the thread. The only time I pre-punch holes is when sewing leather to woven fabric, to avoid cutting the woven threads with an awl.  For example sewing girth straps/billets on the webs of a saddle. For most other projects using an awl ensures that the holes line up and that they aren't too big for the thread.  Looks tidy and makes for stronger seams.  I use a slanted pricking iron or an overstitch wheel to mark the holes, and a $10 sewing awl.  Mostly 9-10 SPI or 6-7 SPI.  I don't do production work.  It is all made to order.  Fine stitching with design details that can't easily be mass produced is how I try to set my work apart.  Using a drill, chisel, or round tooth irons for the holes is against my religion. :)

Thank you, some great data. I ended getting the #18 needles, .8mm waxed thread and the Diamond Stitching Chisel Set, 5mm. That will be a good place to start. 

Just stay away from cheap Chinese crap, you get what you pay for!!!!