Sheilajeanne

Good News/Bad News

Reckon I'm lucky, have 2 Tandys here, one about 4 miles away, another about 15 miles. Ordering online is easy as well, Fort Worth and San Antonio are not that far apart. I do want to see my leather before I buy it as well.

The 20% discount in June was nice, too. My profit level was down and my expense level was up considerably, but I picked up enough leather that expenses will definitely be down for the next couple of months.

On 7/1/2024 at 6:33 AM, Dwight said:

I also long ago developed the habit of taking a micrometer with me and buying the thickness of leather I want.  The range of thickness for any skin is pretty broad . . . and I have certain thicknesses I want for the work I do.

I probably should do that! I noticed the leather I have in my storage cupboard all seems to be about 4-5 oz. whereas some of it was marked as 3-4 oz. when I purchased it. That's the main reason the side I just purchased was marked as 2-3 oz. And oh, it is one heck of a nice looking side! :thumbsup:  Yup, I certainly put that 20% off coupon to good use!

The Economy leathers in particular are susceptible to inconsistent thickness grading. The manager of my local store said whoever grades them tends to go with whatever the thickness is at a given spot on the hide and assigns it a somewhat wide range, since they don’t try very hard on the cheap ones. I have a Craftsman double shoulder with a great surface and even grain marked 7-9 that I swear is anywhere from 7 to at least 10. 

I have never had a local Tandy. All the years I've done this I've had to drive 1 1/2 hours to north Seattle, 3 hours to Spokane or 4 hours to Portland. I have gotten to know some of the folks enough that I felt comfortable ordering from them, but they never last. And the last 15 years or so they have really gone downhill, leather, tools, all of it. They just aren't the business they used to be.

12 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

They just aren't the business they used to be.

Are any? Professionalism and quality seems to have been lost in most businesses and products I've been to or bought lately. Couldn't even get a decent sit down meal the other day. 

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Are any? Professionalism and quality seems to have been lost in most businesses and products I've been to or bought lately. Couldn't even get a decent sit down meal the other day. 

There are a few businesses that are still on track.  A lot more are not. Two major business rules that most business management should follow, but they have no idea they exist. I blame it primarily on college and university business professors and what it takes to get a BS or even an MS degree.

Rule one: Treat your customers properly (well). Treat them well, they tell 10 others about your business. Screw them over, and they tell 100 others, and you lost a lot of business opportunities.

Rule two; Treat your employees well. Screw them over, and your employees will find 1000 ways to get back at you that you will never figure out, and will cost you tons of money.

Hello, Chapter 7 or 11!

The main problem I see is the rapid turnover of staff (due to low wages mainly) means the staff isn't as knowledgeable as it once was. Even the managers aren't on the ball. I was looking for a particular tool, and the manager couldn't find it. He had to go and hunt for my mentor, Bill who was on his lunch break. Bill knew EXACTLY where it was! :rolleyes2:

I remember this story - sort of a modern day parable - of someone who started a hamburger stand. They did everything right, and soon had a thriving business. They expanded, and hired more people and things were going great. 

Then the economy took a nosedive, and someone with a fancy business degree told the owner he'd have to 'tighten his belt'. They suggested he buy cheaper products and lay off staff and shorten the hours of the ones he kept. 

Needless to say, neither his staff nor his customers were happy with the changes, and his business suffered. Fortunately, he was smart enough to realize what the problem was. He fired the MBA, and changed things back to the way they had been before. After a number of tough months, his business was thriving once again.

So, Charly, pretty much what you said above!

49 minutes ago, Charley1 said:

There are a few businesses that are still on track.  A lot more are not. Two major business rules that most business management should follow, but they have no idea they exist. I blame it primarily on college and university business professors and what it takes to get a BS or even an MS degree.

Rule one: Treat your customers properly (well). Treat them well, they tell 10 others about your business. Screw them over, and they tell 100 others, and you lost a lot of business opportunities.

Rule two; Treat your employees well. Screw them over, and your employees will find 1000 ways to get back at you that you will never figure out, and will cost you tons of money.

Hello, Chapter 7 or 11!

Well someone had it out for the Texas roadhouse. we ordered a meal and it was literally served to us one dish at a time, I mean I got part of my meal then my daughter got a bit of hers then I got some more of mine finally my daughter got her main then mine then as I had already  finished my steak my fries managed to get there just in time for me to ask for a take home box. All delivered by about four different people without comment our waitress finally brought the bill and she knew we weren't happy she just set it down and left too. All this before the dinner rush so only about half the place was full i looked around and everyone was being served this way and not happy. I guess every employee there was pissed at the boss. Managers don't care much either in these corporate businesses, its all about building a resume and moving on. 

I can name a half dozen I've known of my my lifetime . . . once were great . . . good food . . . good service . . . good price . . . friendly people

A piece at a time . . . it all went to hell in a broken bucket . . . and it was usually the quality of the food that went south first.

May God bless,

Dwight