Mocivnik

Looking for this type of leather

What type of leather is this and where in Europe I can get it? I got a hide from a local dealer, but he refuses to either get me more hides or tell me where he got one. So I'm lookin all over it, since I cannot find the exact same again. It's 6-7 oz. thick (about 2.6mm) and super soft, really easy to bend. See photos below, it's a really good leather.

CZYBVix.jpg

EG3FNbN.jpeg

X0OQmj5.jpeg

xF98yd8.jpeg

Edited by Mocivnik

It looks a lot like a leather I got from Le Prevo a lot of years ago, but my hide was thicker at 5mm/6mm

If you can, send a small piece to Le Prevo and ask if they can identify it and/or supply it

Edited by fredk

@Mocivnik 

Please post your photos here.  3rd party hosted photos frequently disappear due to changes in the host's policies, host out of business, users moving files, deleting files, closing their account or the account expiring.  When this happens, the post becomes worthless to all future users who are researching or looking for help to solve a problem.

If your files are too large to post here due to file size restrictions, you need to resize your files to fit.  Follow this link for some helps and suggestions.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171 There are lots of Apps, software, and online tools available on the web, or even built into your device to enable you to reduce your file sizes.  800 pixels in the longest dimension is quite adequate.  Smart phone screens and many monitors don't display high res files in high resolution.  People that live on the fringes of the internet appreciate smaller file sizes and high res photos may take from 10 minutes to hours to download.

@Mocivnik Laederiet in Denmark are inside the EU, and they are really helpful.
You could send them an email with the picture, then they can probably identify it for you.

https://www.laederiet.dk/kundeservice/ is the customer service page. 

Brgds Jonas

Known is Australia as soggy sides 

https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/5CCSDSBw/Brown-Soggy-sides/pd.php

I use it for heavy duty work aprons  and boots . you are after 2.6 mm , I think that might be just a little too thick and heavy for an apron . Based on the 2mm i have used 

apron.JPG

@fredk: Thank you. I used to work with LePrevo years ago, but sent an inquiry now. Thank you.

@Northmount: Agree 100% and everything, it just happens I have so much photos to upload and don't have time I'm being lazy to resize them all. Will try to use this in future, although it already occured to me, that I really made photo smaller, but still was too big to upload, even if it was barely visible.

@Mulesaw: Thank you, I've sent an inquiry now.

@Tastech: Yes, I'm quite sure that's about it! Well, the apron from the first photo weighted 1.5kg (53 oz.) at the end, which I don't really find very heavy as much as how heavy duty it is. Also, super super soft, very easy to bend!

@Mocivnik You might want to take a look at shoe leathers called pebble grain . I am not sure if they come in the thickness you require .The soggy sides are somewhat greasy where the pebble grain shoe leathers are not ,also they are softer 

25 minutes ago, Tastech said:

@Mocivnik You might want to take a look at shoe leathers called pebble grain . I am not sure if they come in the thickness you require .The soggy sides are somewhat greasy where the pebble grain shoe leathers are not ,also they are softer 

Just received reply from LePrevo, they do not have any kind of simmilar leather, too bad. But "pebble grain" I've heard before and I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. Even this, my leather feels like it's greasy, although doesn't leave any stains on skin or white paper. Although I googled and couldn't find an European distributer of pebble grain leather with thickness >2mm :huh:

There is another type of leather suitable for heavy duty aprons call "KIP" leather . is doesn't have the pebble finish though. It's an open grain leather (matt finish ) and does have an oily feel to it  and it is relatively soft for its thickness but tough as nails . It comes in various thicknesses . I have some 3mm that i use for sharp tool pouches , straps  and heavy duty boots . From what i have seen , i thinks Nicks hand made boots uses kip leather for their boots .

May i ask what is the apron you want to make going to be used for ? 

On 7/2/2024 at 4:12 PM, Tastech said:

There is another type of leather suitable for heavy duty aprons call "KIP" leather . is doesn't have the pebble finish though. It's an open grain leather (matt finish ) and does have an oily feel to it  and it is relatively soft for its thickness but tough as nails . It comes in various thicknesses . I have some 3mm that i use for sharp tool pouches , straps  and heavy duty boots . From what i have seen , i thinks Nicks hand made boots uses kip leather for their boots .

May i ask what is the apron you want to make going to be used for ? 

Thank you for that information, also having issues of finding that type of leather in Europe.

This apron (on the first photo) is going to be for a blacksmith, so it has to be thick, tough and soft. As written before, I got this leather from a local dealer, who refuses to bring on another or share the contact of the tannery.

Edited by Mocivnik