Sign in to follow this  
elnedro

Horse tack question

Hey all, 

Got a question that I cannot find the answer to, so I'm throwing it out to the group.  Im trying to figure out how to make a set of Splint Boots and Bell Boots for a horse (or if its even worth the effort)

I'm working with some equestrians who are tired of constantly having to replace the shoddily make fabric/neoprene ones out there...and being a leather worker...my first thought was...well...leather.

The Tandy horse Tack pattern set doesn't have them, all I've really been able to make from that pack is a few sets of spur straps.

If anyone knows of a pattern, or even has suggestions based on personal experience, I'd love to hear them!

Edited by elnedro

1 hour ago, elnedro said:

Im trying to figure out how to make a set of Splint Boots and Bell Boots for a horse

Moved your post to Saddle and Tack Accessory Items

@elnedro

This thread: 

@Silverd made some absolutely stunning bell boots. 
He very kindly sent me some pictures of the process, though I hate to admit that I have been too busy renovating an old house to get started in making them. 

Brgds Jonas

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

Moved your post to Saddle and Tack Accessory Items

thanks! I'm still learning to navigate the site

1 hour ago, Mulesaw said:

@elnedro

This thread: 

@Silverd made some absolutely stunning bell boots. 
He very kindly sent me some pictures of the process, though I hate to admit that I have been too busy renovating an old house to get started in making them. 

Brgds Jonas

Thank you so much for this!  

Those are beautiful leather bell boots but they wouldn't stay that way on our horses that need them.  In my experience it's hard to improve on the utility of one piece rubber bell boots.  The velcroed/synthetic boots tend to ride up (at least the ones we've tried) so they don't protect the feet or horseshoes from damage caused by interference. When a horse is a shoe puller they usually wear rubber boots 24/7, on pasture and in the barn, and when working under saddle except in show classes where they are not allowed (so the judge can see the foot movements).  So the boots take a beating.  I'd find out how/when they are using the boots and why they prefer the velcroed type boots vs slip on rubber boots.  If leather bell boots seem workable then I would consider harness leather as a tough, weatherproof choice.

1 hour ago, TomE said:

Those are beautiful leather bell boots but they wouldn't stay that way on our horses that need them.  In my experience it's hard to improve on the utility of one piece rubber bell boots.  The velcroed/synthetic boots tend to ride up (at least the ones we've tried) so they don't protect the feet or horseshoes from damage caused by interference. When a horse is a shoe puller they usually wear rubber boots 24/7, on pasture and in the barn, and when working under saddle except in show classes where they are not allowed (so the judge can see the foot movements).  So the boots take a beating.  I'd find out how/when they are using the boots and why they prefer the velcroed type boots vs slip on rubber boots.  If leather bell boots seem workable then I would consider harness leather as a tough, weatherproof choice.

The biggest issue has been that the velcro always dies out on their bell and splint boots. This is all being used for western (arena and trail). And yes, the velcro ones ride up, and the "no turn" boots turn almost immediately. I'll ask about the rubber...I think they just asked me about a leather version because I've made a few leather goods for them before.  Thanks for the detailed reply!

2 hours ago, elnedro said:

The biggest issue has been that the velcro always dies out on their bell and splint boots

Replacing velcro is easily done (if you have a sewing machine).
I repair a lot of horse tack, and replacing velcro is a reoccurring theme. I use a patcher sewing machine to do it, and the biggest "problem" is that once in a while the sewing thread will become frayed while sewing on the male part of the velcro, but I just restart the stitch then and that's it.

Brgds Jonas 

For less thread fraying when sewing on the male part of the Velcro, try using nylon or polyester thread. They are more resistant to friction

1 hour ago, alexcobe said:

For less thread fraying when sewing on the male part of the Velcro, try using nylon or polyester thread. They are more resistant to friction

Thanks for the tip, but I'm already using a synthetic thread :-) it is Amann Serafil tkt 20, but once in a while it just seem to fray more than others. It isn't a super big deal though. It could also be my brand of velcro that has particular sharp ends, but it isn't a big enough problem that I want to a lot about it :-)

Brgds Jonas

Brgds Jonas

14 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

Replacing velcro is easily done (if you have a sewing machine).
I repair a lot of horse tack, and replacing velcro is a reoccurring theme. I use a patcher sewing machine to do it, and the biggest "problem" is that once in a while the sewing thread will become frayed while sewing on the male part of the velcro, but I just restart the stitch then and that's it.

Brgds Jonas 

I don't think they know how to use a sewing machine.  I always catch them hand sewing things that really should be machine sewed.  I don't have one either, but my leather work is all hobby and if there is any sewing involved it's basic hand stitching. I'd love a patcher, but I also live in a 1 bedroom apartment in Los Angeles thats full of my hobbies, so no room for another machine.

But this is good to know... I think I might know someone who could help with that.  Appreciate it!

@elnedro I think I might have a "pattern" for splint boots at home (I am at at ship right now for work). It is from an old German saddler book. As far as I remember, it's pretty much just a drawing, but it might give an idea of how to make it, The book is a reprint of a really old book, so the closing mechanism is simply small straps and buckles. You could put the straps or the buckles on some elastic straps, and then you'll get pretty much the same effect as with a modern velcro closure.

The book is so old that the sizes might not fit a modern horse. I made a halter where I followed the suggested sizes, and it didn't fit my wife's horse at all.  So my best suggestion for splinter boots would be to ask your friends if they have a set that they are going to throw out anyway, and then cut them apart and use them as patterns for a leather version. You'll probably need to add some extra space for stitching but you would still end up with something in the ball park of what will fit their horse.

I found those by Googling, they feature regular straps and buckles combined with elastic straps. https://www.cactusropes.com/gear/leather-splint-boots.asp

Brgds Jonas

@Mulesaw I kinda wondered about just reverse engineering a pair that were destined for the dumpster, thanks for confirming my thought.  

Hadn't thought about using elastic with the buckles.  it would solve the problem of fine tuning adjustments beyond what you can do with a strap, my only concern would be the longevity of the elastic, I've yet to find any that don't start losing their stretch within a few months. 

But it does give me an idea of using a ratchet buckle, like for snowboards.  Wonder if those would hold up better than velcro.

This velcro bell boot uses a sandwich of velcro tabs. https://walshproducts.com/products/velcro-bell-boot-with-fleece-147f  I haven't tried this one but the price is not much more than plain rubber bell boots, and Walsh is a quality brand.  @Silverd's leather boots are a work of art and the closure looks very secure.  In my experience, heavy rubber bell boots have the right amount of weight and flex to stay in place on the hoof during work.  Thankfully, our shoe puller mare is now barefoot and pregnant so I am not dealing with bell boots as often.

8 hours ago, elnedro said:

Hadn't thought about using elastic with the buckles.  it would solve the problem of fine tuning adjustments beyond what you can do with a strap, my only concern would be the longevity of the elastic, I've yet to find any that don't start losing their stretch within a few months. 

I think you would have to find the same type of elastic that goes into making elastic girths for horses. I purchased a roll of 40 m from a company called H. Seal Elastics in England. They were the only company that I could find that produces this type of elastic. 

But you don't have to invest in a complete roll. Often it is much cheaper to buy a brand new elastics girth at some outlet, and then cut it up and use it for spareparts. 
Once every year or so, the local riding school has a flea market, and I try to go there and buy old girths and other horse tack items, just to get the buckles and such for spare parts. That could also be a solution for you, at least that way you won't have to invest a huge amount of money on a prototype. 

I am not in any way familiar with tack shops in the Los Angeles area, but you could just go to a tack shop and look at the different bell boots and splint boots they have on display. That could give some inspiration.
Veredus makes some very good splint boots. And I am sure that there are other good brands out there as well. It also comes down to what the rider like and what will fit the horse perfectly.

A ratching buckle is an interesting idea. You might want to test the sound first, by touching the horses leg and closing the buckle. Some horses are more sensitive to new sounds as others, and if the horse's brain thinks it is a sound associated with danger, it will be a risky business to put on any equipment with that sound. It is not to discourage you, but it would be a pity to have spent a lot of time and made a set of tack that can't be mounted on the horse once it is completed. 

Brgds Jonas

10 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

I am not in any way familiar with tack shops in the Los Angeles area, but you could just go to a tack shop and look at the different bell boots and splint boots they have on display. That could give some inspiration.

Guess I know where I am going this weekend. 

Good point about testing the sound.  I've got a ratchet buckle from fixing a pair of rollerblades I can use to test.  Appreciate the suggestion/forewarning