SUP

Best brand of tape to use on leather?

I often purchase patterns to make leather items. I need to stick those patterns onto the leather. with sticky tape and then take it off once the pattern is cut. That is when the problem arises. The tape invariably leaves sticky residue behind. I have tried several different types of tape but they either do not stick well or they leave a residue. I have clearly not tried the correct tape. 

What would be the best brand to use for this?

I use green 'Frog' tape. Have you got that brand there?

Further down the page a chappie has posted 'Templates' and he mentions his 'green tape'

Ask him the brand

I'll do that. thank you. But I need it to be transparent or at least translucent. Isn't green tape opaque? That is why I have been using masking tape but it makes a mess, especially on veg tanned leather. Cleaning requires saddle soap and scrubbing which, of course, ruins the surface. I've tried every other transparent/translucent tape I could find around here but like I said earlier, they either do not stick of leave residue. 

Edited by SUP

Why does it need to be translucent?

Frog Green or Yellow are low tack painters tapes. Green is lowest tack, but even Yellow is far lower than regular paper masking tape.  I've been using them for years

Do you need it translucent because you cover the entire pattern with it?

I've used blue tape to hold patterns onto the leather

I need translucent tape because I cover the stitching holes with it and then punch through it. Directions from all the pattern sellers, at any rate. Prevents the paper from tearing, 

Oh. That looks like it could work. Thank you.

21 hours ago, SUP said:

I often purchase patterns to make leather items. I need to stick those patterns onto the leather. with sticky tape and then take it off once the pattern is cut. That is when the problem arises. The tape invariably leaves sticky residue behind. I have tried several different types of tape but they either do not stick well or they leave a residue. I have clearly not tried the correct tape. 

What would be the best brand to use for this?

What I do for my patterns: I make them larger than the leather, so that they fold over the edges (2 opposite edges), and I use masking tape on the back (flesh side) of the leather to  hold the pattern in place. 

What I typically do, after I work out a pattern, is I use spray contact adhesive, and glue my pattern to posterboard, so its rigid.  Then, I have a few different sized paper weights to help hold it down, in addition to holding it with my non-dominant hand, as I scribe around the pattern.  

See, when I make my own patterns, I usually  design it on paper, trace it on cardboard, mark all the stitching holes, cut and then use that as the template on the leather.  Sometimes, I do not even make the cardboard template, like for knife sheaths, which are individual for each knife. When using paper, the paper weights work well or taping to the back, as you both suggest, @Littlef and @DJole. And both work well. Since the pattern is my own, I have an idea of where the stitching holes will be and don't need to punch through the paper.

I need the transparent tape for when I purchase patterns - I do that to learn different techniques from sellers who have good video guides for the products, like dieselpunk.ro. I end up with a completed project and have learnt something new at each turn. But he, like others, has patterns that need to be stuck onto the leather and the stitching holes punched through. Punching through paper without the sticky tape layer really can cause the paper to tear. So it is needed. That is where it becomes a problem. I have a bag full of leather scrap that are all sticky. Ergo the question here. 

22 hours ago, SUP said:

I'll do that. thank you. But I need it to be transparent or at least translucent. Isn't green tape opaque? That is why I have been using masking tape but it makes a mess, especially on veg tanned leather. Cleaning requires saddle soap and scrubbing which, of course, ruins the surface. I've tried every other transparent/translucent tape I could find around here but like I said earlier, they either do not stick of leave residue. 

I suspect you're complicating things unnecessarily. Simply taping a pattern to a piece of leather shouldn't be a sticky mess.  I don't use the pattern to cut out the leather, I tape the pattern to the very lightly dampened leather, trace it with an awl, remove the pattern and tape, then cut out.  Any painter's tape should do just fine.  A small bit of tape here and there is plenty to hold the pattern while I trace.  Then, removing the painter's tape is a snap.  If there is any minor residual adhesive, it is easily removed with a bit of denatured alcohol.

@TonyV have you seen the patterns available online, along with the instructional videos? I suspect, not. Please do look at them - they are on Etsy. Most of the videos are free,  You will get an idea of what I am talking about. When I say that the leather is sticky, It does not indicate a 'sticky mess'. it just means that some of the glue remains behind. A bagful of sticky scrap does not mean a sticky lump; it means scraps of leather which have glue somewhere or the other.