JShapiro

Good quality snaps?

I'm looking to buy some snaps and would love some recommendations for good quality ones that can be purchased in relatively small quantities, ie 50-100. I use my gear hard and so would like to find a brand that folks have experience with under harsh conditions.

I bought a bag at my local chain fabric store, and they broke very quickly. Then, I got a recommendation from a custom outdoor gear manufacturer to buy from fasnap.com, but they only sell in quantities of 1,000. Does anybody have a recommendation for snaps that they have seen last a long time under hard use, that can be bought in smaller quantities? Thank you.

Edited by JShapiro

Been using snaps for 20 + years . . . from Tandy . . . basically have never had any serious problems with them.

I find when I do have a problem . . . it is not the snap . . . but the installation.  

If they are done right . . . they work.  Best snaps in the world are not worth a dime if they are improperly installed.

Take the time to learn to do it right . . . and you will be good.

The picture enclosed is THE snap tool . . . almost impossible to not do it right . . . 35 bucks for the handle . . . 20 for the set of tools to go with it.  You have to change tools from the male piece to the female piece . . . so I bought a second handle . . . don't have to waste time changing the tools.  One of my better investments.

May God bless,

Dwight

snap pliers.jpg

snap tool.jpg

I agree with Dwight on this one. I use line 24 snaps from Tandy. You can get them in multiple colors and in quantities of 10 20 50 or 100. Definitely get the setter tool though. You will go crazy trying to pound them in.  I use the same snap tool that Dwight does I just rubber dipped the hand part of the handles to make it a little easier when setting multiples. However his idea of buying two handles so I don't have to change the dies every time is genius.

If our viewers don't know there is a slight difference in DOT style snaps and line 24 import snaps.  The dome on DOT or Fastnap are more rounded than import line 24. The  setter domer will work on either but can create appearance problems.  For example using DOT domer on import snaps  will round out the top causing marking from the inner core of the snap.  I also believe you need the correct or compatible setter. I personally don't care which one uses, but DOT or Fastnap are better.  Also coated snaps in painted colors will set slightly harder.

Thanks for the replies, this is great advice!

@DwightCan you tell me a little more about why the snap setting tool is better than hammering them in with the post tool? Is it hard to get the snap parts to line up correctly with the hammer type installation?

@ljk Are the Tandy snaps the DOT/Fasnap type?

2 hours ago, JShapiro said:

Thanks for the replies, this is great advice!

@DwightCan you tell me a little more about why the snap setting tool is better than hammering them in with the post tool? Is it hard to get the snap parts to line up correctly with the hammer type installation?

Hammering requires holding one piece of leather . . . sometimes two . . . a top snap part . . . a bottom snap part . . . a snap tool . . . a mallet . . . the snap anvil . . . over a small anvil or other very hard surface

5 or 6 items . . . having to be held with two hands.

Sometimes it works . . . sometimes it doesn't.

This tool works first time . . . every time.

Simple as that.

I don't have time to take a pair of side cutters . . . wiggle it between the snap part and the flesh side of the leather . . . cut off the bad snap . . . and then dig out the parts again . . . re install the snap . . . and hope the second time that it works . . . when using the exact same leather . . . it didn't the first time.

May God bless,

Dwight

Where can I find this tool? So far, I haven't had any luck finding it online. 

It looks like the ticket though.

47 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Looks like ebay has them.

On 8/8/2024 at 10:28 AM, Herbie said:

Etsy, Ebay, Amazon, Temu . . . they all have them.  

Be careful with Temu . . . theirs may be a knockoff . . . buy somewhere else.

May God bless,

Dwight

9 hours ago, JShapiro said:

@Dwight Does this ZYT pliers come with the correct dies? Thank you! Also, are these pliers compatible with the DOT style snaps, like @ljk mentioned?

No  . . .  I had to buy mine extra . . . whoever (besides Temu) sells you the handle  . . .  should carry the dies as well.  Ask for the ones for line 24 snaps.  That is all they will fit too.

I actually got mine from an Amish sewing store.  Amish use a lot of snaps . . . and would probably grab up that one you showed.

May God bless,

Dwight

12 hours ago, Dwight said:

Etsy, Ebay, Amazon, Temu . . . they all have them.  

Be careful with Temu . . . theirs may be a knockoff . . . buy somewhere else.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you