Hi I have a Singer 29k1 that does not sew well, it feeds the fabric fine but does not sew  at first it does pull the thread of the bobbin from the bottom easily and I checked and it is aligned, two questions one does anyone have a technician's manual for this machine? And two, I didn't quite understand the pressure mechanism on the foot, which is strange and seems to me that samone been changed (later I might get to the studio and try to take some pictures or a video) thanks

a few things I noticed...

1. The thumbscrew + lock nut for the foot pressure leaf spring are missing. You have a plain screw instead which for sure is too short. So you cannot adjust the foot pressure.
  2. I think (!) you have a wrong foot lift lever on your machine. I think (!) your machine should have the "push down lever" - not sure if you know what I mean but some of the early 29K had a different lever for lifting the foot that you have to push down instead of lifting to lift the presser foot
  3. Some one cut a slit in the slider or modified the slider somehow. There should be just 1 slit for the leaf spring and that the is the lower one. The slider also looks modified. the lower end should be squared and not rounded.
  4. Usually here should be a spring that hold the "push down lever" in place

516b2952-caf5-453c-886e-96ce0ea9be2d.thumb.jpeg.ee0f05ffa74629486776627ef5cbc65c.jpeg.343bb0114e2b594da34afaec7412012c.jpeg

IMO I think some one tried to fix the machine and made is worse.

Please post pictures of the front side.

Not sure if you can get it to work with the wrong & modified parts but 1st thing I would try is to place the leaf spring the in lower slit of the slider. BUT I think then the leaf spring will not hold in place because you do not have the correct thumbscrew + lock nut installed. So wrong / missing and modified parts are the main reason why the machine is not properly working.

Long time ago I restored a 29K1. You find some pictures that show how the correct parts are positioned in this thread:

Hope this helps

Edited by Constabulary

C,

That machine has been fobarred a little.  I think I can fix it.  Some parts needed.   What the hell went in #4???    The lifter to manually lift the foot is correct.

glenn

Thank you very much, it helped me a lot,  i see that someone made bad changes to the machine, a friend bought it and I told him not to buy it, he wanted me to tell him what needed to be fixed since I couldn't find a service manual for this machine I wanted to check with more people, also the parts booklet that I found arranged in such a way that you can't see where each part or screw goes, in any case it helped me a lot, thank you very much, if anyone has an instruction for it, I would love to receive it please

@‏constabulary thank you

well, the tension unit looks odd too.... :blink: I cannot tell what the silver parts are but they do not belong there.

b11db870-be0f-46ac-9711-3d4bfcb285e5.jpeg.e69c17f7ef706d3b5b5358424fb0bad9.jpeg

Edited by Constabulary

Yes, after reading a bit and seeing that it's an unnecessary addition that shouldn't be there at all, so I took it off a bit after taking a picture 

Do u have pic of the back of the machine to see how it should look and maybe see the missing parts?

5 hours ago, Constabulary said:

well, the tension unit looks odd too.... :blink: I cannot tell what the silver parts are but they do not belong there.

5 hours ago, Constabulary said:

They look like lock washers 

The tension unit remained the same so it is the same on all 29 / 29K machines at least on the most common ones that I have seen.

More pictures you´ll find in the thread I have linked in the 3rd post above. I no longer have this 29K1.

IMG_9555.JPG

This machine looking great I am fixing my 29k2 which is missing parts I have ordered most of the parts except the leaf spring and adjuster one of great member on here offered me the help and parts but I want to fix this machine cheap l am looking to make this spring by myself if I can get the measurements as well as the breaket measurements here are some pictures of my efforts.

20240816_175541.jpg

20240816_175601.jpg

Edited by richco

ok  you need the  spring and cup for the top tension unit, the long tension bar, thumb screw and nut, the clamp, washer and wing nut. that I can see.   You have the long bar i believe.    Also a foot, thread adjustment clamp, thumb screw and gib.

glenn

Thanks for reply, I don't have this long spring and the adjuster thinking to make my own simple enough to make if I can get the dimensions of the long leaf spring and adjuster pleas help.

Thanks 

I think I have the long bar assembly.  That is about $90.00 us.  hARD TO FIND.

GLENN

5 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

I think I have the long bar assembly.  That is about $90.00 us.  hARD TO FIND.

GLENN

Could you please send me measurements of it I can make it,just the spring steel and the adjuster is mild steel I do have milling machine and lathe to do the job I only need the dimensions please.

Thanks 

ok   give me a day or so.
glenn

5 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

ok   give me a day or so.
glenn

Thanks a lot .

will get measurement today for you.  Been crazy the last few days. I need to send you some pics.  You have an email?

glenn

1 hour ago, shoepatcher said:

will get measurement today for you.  Been crazy the last few days. I need to send you some pics.  You have an email?

glenn

Please check your PM box I have sent you my email.Thanks

On 8/25/2024 at 8:14 AM, shoepatcher said:

glenn

What a great person you are Glenn tonns of thanks for helping me out.

On 8/14/2024 at 5:12 PM, Constabulary said:

The tension unit remained the same so it is the same on all 29 / 29K machines at least on the most common ones that I have seen.

More pictures you´ll find in the thread I have linked in the 3rd post above. I no longer have this 29K1.

IMG_9555.JPG

Getting back to this 29k1. Only green one I have seen. Was this an army one or just made green? 

38 minutes ago, DanF said:

Getting back to this 29k1. Only green one I have seen. Was this an army one or just made green? 

Thats actually a restored Adler 30-15 (short arm) but it shares several parts with the Singer 29K. I can post a full view tomorrow.

Edited by Constabulary

14 hours ago, DanF said:

a quick picture ;)

IMG_9565.JPG