I had a wild hair and tried cooking spray on a key chain I made. I was curious if anybody else has tried this?  I got nice even coverage and it got down into the tooling really well.  This was a canola spray because it’s what I had but I know there is olive oil cooking sprays.  I know that this is not the most cost effective way of oiling; however it didn’t leave a darker spot where you apply the oil that you have to let even out so it may be a good idea for the first coat.  Then I got to thinking maybe a guy could spray oil through an air brush?  But maybe oil is too heavy to flow through an airbrush.  I don’t have one so I can’t try it.  The other thing I’m not sure about with cooking spray is will the propellant in it cause any problems with dyes or antiques or finishes.  Any thoughts or comments on the subject would be appreciated.

Cooking spray is "Oily"/greasy. I don't think it would qualify along with Neatsfoot oil. 

Any oily substance seems to have a tendency to rub off on clothing unless it is dried.

Heck, I used vegetable oil to finish some wooden plaques we used to make.

other ingredients include soy lecithin and dimethyl silicone. YMMV.

These ingredients make the oil rather sticky.  I don't use cooking spray on my cast iron for just that reason.  Just plain old avocado oil.   Don't care to try spray on my leather projects.

Try an oil sprayer, and there are spray cans of cooking oil that do not have silicone in them. We have had oil sprayers for cooking, honestly not fond of them, also saw someplace some water in with the oil helps breakup the spray pattern so it is more even. Experiment with sprayers (even try sprayers used for misting plants, or spraying cleaner) on paper or cardboard, see the pattern.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oil+sprayer+for+cooking&crid=1AAB87KJ7GXUH&sprefix=oil+spra%2Caps%2C117&ref=nb_sb_ss_w_hit-vc-lth_oil-sprayer-for-cooking_k0_1_8

You do get empty oil sprayers into which you add whichever oil that you want. Those would work for you.

8 hours ago, Wepster said:

Try an oil sprayer, and there are spray cans of cooking oil that do not have silicone in them. We have had oil sprayers for cooking, honestly not fond of them, also saw someplace some water in with the oil helps breakup the spray pattern so it is more even. Experiment with sprayers (even try sprayers used for misting plants, or spraying cleaner) on paper or cardboard, see the pattern.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oil+sprayer+for+cooking&crid=1AAB87KJ7GXUH&sprefix=oil+spra%2Caps%2C117&ref=nb_sb_ss_w_hit-vc-lth_oil-sprayer-for-cooking_k0_1_8

7 minutes ago, SUP said:

You do get empty oil sprayers into which you add whichever oil that you want. Those would work for you.

Thanks for the tip on oil sprayers I didn’t know they existed . I’ll have to try one I really liked the way the cooking spray went on.  This was more of an idea of opportunity I needed to oil it and I saw the can.  Then my thoughts went to maybe this would work with an airbrush.  I wasn’t thinking about other ingredients in cooking spray so yeah maybe not the best idea but the keychain was for me so if it failed no big deal.  Once again this forum has pointed me toward a better way to go with and idea thanks.

How you apply anything to the leather matters less that what you apply to leather. Consider dye, a range of tools and methods all produce dyed leather. The range is from dipping to spraying on with many methods, techniques and tools yielding the results we are after. If a tool or method works for you, use it. Outcome needed or desired will typically determine the material, method and tools used.

I use cooking oil on leather items I have made as a first coat to help get it nice and soft. It works great, and is much cheaper than some of the other oils you can buy.