Nowandagain

Brown dye from household materials

Any suggestions for dying veg tan brown or burgundy using household materials? Leather dyes are hard to find where I live (Amazon won’t ship them here), and I want to avoid exposure to VOCs for health reasons. Haven’t found neatsfoot oil here, either  

Coffee comes out much too light, no matter how strong I brew it, how long I leave it, or how many coats I use. Adding ketchup to the coffee helps, but not enough. 

One website claims you can use pomegranate juice. They were wrong. 

Has anyone tried diluting vinegaroon (I’ve never used it) with coffee? Or adding steel wool to strong coffee?

Any luck with strong tea?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Nowandagain

Something I heard of, but never experimented with is using walnuts shells or pecan shells.   I found this youtube video of a guy talking about his process:   

I had seen this but I have no source for walnut skins, only shells.

7 hours ago, Nowandagain said:

I had seen this but I have no source for walnut skins, only shells.

Hi, I live in Oklahoma, and there is a pecan orchard a few miles from home.  I purchased a 25 or 50 pound bag of Pecan Hulls, a lingerie bag to boil them in, and now I have a dark brown dye.  Walnut hulls also work very well.  If you want DARK brown, almost black leather, use dark roast coffee that's been reduced by about half.  It is HELPFUL to make some trial leather pieces to see how long to soak the leather in the dye. 

Later

Mixing vinegar & steel wool into the coffee/ketchup experiment didn’t work any better than it probably tastes. It came out blotchy, uneven, black around the edges, light brown in the middle, with pin-prick black spots. Back to the drawing board. 

“Hi, I live in Oklahoma, and there is a pecan orchard a few miles from home.  I purchased a 25 or 50 pound bag of Pecan Hulls, a lingerie bag to boil them in, and now I have a dark brown dye.  Walnut hulls also work very well. “

Unfortunately I have no source here in Israel for either type of hull. 

How about shoe polish?  It's not really dye, but who knows?

another option would be to use a wood stain from a hardware store.

On 8/30/2024 at 6:12 AM, Nowandagain said:

“Hi, I live in Oklahoma, and there is a pecan orchard a few miles from home.  I purchased a 25 or 50 pound bag of Pecan Hulls, a lingerie bag to boil them in, and now I have a dark brown dye.  Walnut hulls also work very well. “

Unfortunately I have no source here in Israel for either type of hull. 

OK, something i might be able to help ( California pistachio grower here) with,  do you have access to pistachio hulls? They should be coming available this time of year, just let them age a bit to darken up and let the tannins release.

Do you have access to oak trees? The acorns are loaded with tannins, grind them up then soak them to make a very bitter tea.

The other thing to try might be a dark red wine, or even Balsamic vinegar, just be sure to neutralize the acid with baking soda and a good rinse.

Trailblazer, thanks. Sadly no access to pistachio hulls or acorns either, but there’s lots of red wine here. (Sadly I had to give up alcohol this year for medical reasons, but they still sell it.)

Does it matter whether you use dry or (ugh!) sweet wine? Have you had better luck with any particular type of grape?
When you have used it, do you concentrate the wine first in anyway, or just use it straight from the bottle? Soak it, or swab it on? any tips you can give me would be great! 

I haven't used it on leather intentionally, but I do know it stains. Experimentation is probably in order, the grape must (the solids left over from wine making) will possibly make for a good base, though it has a strong odor.  Take those solids and make a strong tea from it.

If I were to use wine, I would probably want to reduce it down to remove the alcohol and some water, might darken it up as well.

As someone else mentioned above, a wood stain may be the most consistent way to get the color you want. Most hardware stores carry it.

Rust water stains clothes brown. Might work for leather as well. 

2 hours ago, Trailblazer87 said:

I haven't used it on leather intentionally, but I do know it stains. Experimentation is probably in order, the grape must (the solids left over from wine making) will possibly make for a good base, though it has a strong odor.  Take those solids and make a strong tea from it.

If I were to use wine, I would probably want to reduce it down to remove the alcohol and some water, might darken it up as well.

As someone else mentioned above, a wood stain may be the most consistent way to get the color you want. Most hardware stores carry it.

I'm not sure how you'd reduce it down, but if you're thinking to simmer it in order to evaporate the alcohol, be warned that the alcohol vapors are dangerously flammable and heavier than air. In other words, don't do it on a gas stove.

Though I hear tell there's some kind of fancy cooker gadget that'll do the job.

Nowandagain, 

Would you have access to Henna? That has been used to dye leather.

Henna you can get at any store selling South Asian groceries. You will probably get a reddish color with that. Like Mahogany maybe?

Maybe you could try Beet Root juice mixed with a weak coffee or tea might give you a burgundy tan its just a thought, and at the very least the Beet Root is a vegetable. 

Many years ago i went to a Tannery (sadly no longer with us) to pick up some Bridle backs was going to get Dark Havana and Black then i saw this burgundy tanned one had to have that too, and to this day i am convinced Beet Root play a part in the colour could be wrong though, but i will say i think its the Best Bridle leather i have ever worked with.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk