Here is a NEW design concept I have been working on to cut leather belt straps? 

The guides and the tooling are self centered. No Setup on tool changes, just drag and drop.

What do you think? Any improvements, comments or suggestions?

Please share the leather belt strap punch and cutters that you use?

New-Design-Leather-Belt-Press-Punch.png

Edited by BianVariani

Its interesting but by the time I would've taken to set this up for the first cut I would have the belt cut with my old wood strap cutter

I think you don't need those fancy bits on the cutting area; a plain cutting surface is needed

Edited by fredk

Share what you use?

My cutter is not a commercial cutter, nor for sale, just a design for myself!

Does anyone have any videos on the belt strap build/process you use?

Edited by BianVariani

Since you asked, I do a lot of strap work and use simple hand tools to lay out and punch holes - ruler, divider, drive punches.  I cut most of the points (English points/ egg points) with a round knife held against the edge of the bench.  These tasks are a small part of the time spent on each project - I'll spend 20-25 hrs making a bridle and 15 min punching the holes.  These are made to order items.  If I was in production mode then automation might be helpful.  For me having the manual skills of cutting, shaping, sewing leather are the main point of my craft.

Looks more like a nut cracker . . . can't figure how one would cut leather on that.

May God bless,

Dwight

Please note, the design is a concept design and the cutting die would need to be added.

Edited by BianVariani

This might be a fun thing to fabricate just because it's satisfying to make things.

I don't really see how it would work. It appears there's no downward travel left in the machine as pictured. And if the area on the bottom is where you'd be cutting your strap, the leather seems like it'd already have to be the desired width to enter the cutting area.

Would it be something where you'd cut sections as you go, or would it be a draw through type of cutter?

I know there exist large, expensive machines to cut a large piece of leather into straps. This might speed up producing more than one but less that say, 20.

But then, I'm the guy who said that Windows operating system thingy would never catch on. :)

This just cuts the belt strap tip, billet end, and the holes, not the whole strap itself.

5 minutes ago, BianVariani said:

This just cuts the belt strap tip, billet end, and the holes, not the whole strap itself.

I see. In that case, maybe focus on making custom dies to use in an existing arbor press.

On 8/25/2024 at 10:28 PM, AlZilla said:

But then, I'm the guy who said that Windows operating system thingy would never catch on. :)

I'm guessing that you also said smokeless powder was just a passing fad?;)

On 8/25/2024 at 10:42 PM, AlZilla said:

I see. In that case, maybe focus on making custom dies to use in an existing arbor press.

Yep, I reckon there would be more of a market for them, too. Lots of leatherworkers have arbor presses.