AdamHaskin

Clothing color transfer onto project

I'm new to leatherwork, and I am making a holster. I got my pattern transferred onto my leather and started cutting with my swivel knife only to notice about half way through that the blue dye in the sleeves of my shirt had transferred onto the leather in a few places. Is there a way to remove this and salvage the project? I kept on working on it just to get practice, expecting to trash it, but it's looking better than I thought it would (for me,) and I hate to just throw it away now.

You could try cleaning with denatured alcohol, deglazer, Oxalic acid, or acetone.  That list kind of increases in strength as it goes BTW.  

If you are dying the leather a dark color, it will likely cover it over.  Oiling or finishing it might darken it up to hide it as well and help cover it.  

I usually worry about dyed leather transferring to clothing.  Never had clothes stain my leather.  

If it's for you, and it's for regular wear, just finish it.  If you enjoy it you'll make more later.  And the main thing is that it wears comfortable and carries the gun safe and secure anyway.  As a maker, I understand it's annoying.  But there very little that gets out perfect.  

Got any pics. Might help others about giving advice on removing the blue stain/rub off. 

I would think denatured alcohol or acetone should take off the blue. 

You always got option to dye it darker if you are working with natural veg tan. 

Sorry to hear about the pain. Who would ever think their shirt would stain your leather. 

It doesn't look as bad on camera as it does in person, but it's blue and I had planned on dyeing this piece saddle tan. I'll try the alcohol. I'm surprised to hear that acetone is an option. I figured something that strong would be a no go on leather. Does it not damage it?

40921.jpeg

8 minutes ago, AdamHaskin said:

It doesn't look as bad on camera as it does in person, but it's blue and I had planned on dyeing this piece saddle tan. I'll try the alcohol. I'm surprised to hear that acetone is an option. I figured something that strong would be a no go on leather. Does it not damage it?

40921.jpeg

That looks sharp! Nice work. Make sure to post up a Pic when it is finished. 

The acetone is a bit more harsh I would say. As it removes the oils & such from the natural veg tan leather. 

I think denatured alcohol will clean that up. 

I also think your saddle tan will cover it fine. 

Just make sure to condition it after you get it done to help replenish the oils & such. 

4 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

That looks sharp! Nice work. Make sure to post up a Pic when it is finished. 

The acetone is a bit more harsh I would say. As it removes the oils & such from the natural veg tan leather. 

I think denatured alcohol will clean that up. 

I also think your saddle tan will cover it fine. 

Just make sure to condition it after you get it done to help replenish the oils & such. 

Thanks! I'll for sure post a Pic. I'm just very slow in my process, so it might be a while. I was watching some videos that showed applying neatsfoot oil right after the dye to help even it out. Once you put resolene over everything, does the oil still soak through ok?

2 hours ago, AdamHaskin said:

Thanks! I'll for sure post a Pic. I'm just very slow in my process, so it might be a while. I was watching some videos that showed applying neatsfoot oil right after the dye to help even it out. Once you put resolene over everything, does the oil still soak through ok?

There is more than 1 way to do it. Some lightly oil then dye. Some dye & then oil. 

If you plan on dying & then apply antiquing gel & such. 

I would look into Don Gonzales antiquing video. It is not long & lots of great info he points out. 

4 hours ago, AdamHaskin said:

Oil before resolene.  The resolene is an acrylic finish.  The point is stopping stuff from soaking into the leather.  

Dye, let dry

Oil, let dry.  If you do it after dyeing.  

resolene, let dry

FWIW, oiling can be done several way.  I've tried most.  But I don't straight oil my holsters.  I do have an oil/wax mix that I apply and melt in with a heat gun.  There are a million ways to do it and most will work just fine.  

I wouldn't abandon it. Hit it with the saddle tan and I bet you'll never see it.  Try it on a piece of scrap.

21 hours ago, DieselTech said:

There is more than 1 way to do it. Some lightly oil then dye. Some dye & then oil. 

If you plan on dying & then apply antiquing gel & such. 

I would look into Don Gonzales antiquing video. It is not long & lots of great info he points out. 

19 hours ago, chiefjason said:

Oil before resolene.  The resolene is an acrylic finish.  The point is stopping stuff from soaking into the leather.  

Dye, let dry

Oil, let dry.  If you do it after dyeing.  

resolene, let dry

FWIW, oiling can be done several way.  I've tried most.  But I don't straight oil my holsters.  I do have an oil/wax mix that I apply and melt in with a heat gun.  There are a million ways to do it and most will work just fine.  

I was planning on neatsfoot right after the dye, then some feibing's aussie conditioner, then the resolene. 

That being said, I think the blue is still looking slightly darker, but by the time I antique it, I don't think it will be noticeable.

20240918_131313.jpg

44 minutes ago, AdamHaskin said:

I was planning on neatsfoot right after the dye, then some feibing's aussie conditioner, then the resolene. 

That being said, I think the blue is still looking slightly darker, but by the time I antique it, I don't think it will be noticeable.

20240918_131313.jpg

Looks nice. Great tooling work.