WriterSteven

Casing and Pro Dye

Hello everyone.

Before I go and completely ruin a bunch of Christmas sleigh bell door hangers, I thought I would run this by folks with a lot more experience than myself. 

I have several veg tan door hangers that will have a dark brown border, similar to what you would see on a tooled belt. I’ve already ran a groover so the border is ready for dye. My problem is this. The stamps that I will be using have not come in yet. They are shipping from China and a couple of places in Europe. It may be awhile. When they do come in, I wanted to case the leather to get some nice looking stamping. Then dye the main area of the leather. If I am going to wait to case after everything arrives, can I go ahead and at least dye the border and THEN case, or would the water totally ruin the dyed border? I’m just trying to get as much done as I can while I wait for my stamps!

BTW, I’m using Pro Dye for everything then antiquing.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Steven

I would wait. I doubt it would ruin it, but it will definitely affect it and change the appearance. 

I am with @BigBore on this one.  I would wait until you are done with the stamping to dye.

Me too. Not worth the risk, if something went wrong you'd kick yourself for being impatient.