DaleksInc

Woodworking plane for skiving?

For whatever reason, I always have horrible luck when skiving projects. The skiver seems to occasionally "catch," resulting in severe gouging. I suspect this may be due to my skiver (a Tandy SuperSkiver.) Would a well-stropped woodworking plane produce a more even skive?

My two cents ...........

I have used a plane for wood most of my working life . It is a wonderful tool but it is more than a sharp blade and with many adjustments it is not real easy to learn . You may have wonderful luck with one but for  me it is not a skiving tool . You'll find the sole in your way for most skiving work .

Good luck !

A belt sander is effective. Bench mount, not hand held.

Maybe just the blade, out of the plane body?

I'm a woodworker and I have many planes tuned, sharp, and ready to go. They don't work great for skiving leather. A low angle block plane set for gossamer shavings works, but not as consistent as a sharp edger used by a skilled person. 

Going around corners and curves tends to chew instead of cut. 

I encourage you to experiment and prove me wrong.

I had some china edgers and I thought I was doing great leather work, and then I got some tandy shivers and my bevels were much better.