fredk

Grain or flesh to edge sewing

One style of sewing that I've not spotted anyone doing is the grain or flesh to edge 

In 2006 I was watching an episode of 'Time Team'. In a dig in Ely they uncovered an unusual knife sheath. Certain aspects of it confused the archaeologists, but we will skip over that.

I decided to make a recreation of the knife scabbard. It would be smaller and decorated differently. 

This is what I made

scabbard 1ss.JPG

One of the things that confused the archaeologists was how it was put together with no sewing showing on the front. And I didn't want sewing on the front to ruin the stamped pattern. I knew the answer - grain to edge sewing

A curved awl is used to pierce a hole from a place on the back to come out in the edge of the top piece. The sewing line and spacing is marked on the rear, which may be the grain or flesh side. Then at each sewing stop the curved awl is used to pierce a hole, with great care, then its saddle-stitched with two short curved needles

I've tried to mark the stitching to show it

This is the stitching on the rear;

Grain or Flesh to edge stitching, 01LWs.jpg

and along the edge, you can make out the back piece stitching in the lower part of the photo

Grain or Flesh to edge stitching, 02LWs.jpg

You don't need overly thick leather to do this. This scabbard is only 8mm thick (just over 1/4")

I've only done this type of stitching a couple of times

Edited by fredk

An interesting method of "invisible stitching", but it seems to me it might not be as strong, coming out through the edge?

It certainly is strong. This scabbard was in regular use until it was returned to me a few years ago for the painting to be refreshed. No glue was used in its construction

The secret is to make the thread coming from the back go through a long tunnel to get out the edge

very interesting.  Hand sewing technique is one of my curiosities.  I need to look into this as I have a couple projects in mind which could benefit from something like this..  Thanks Fred