3ntin

Medieval leatherworking and dyeing

Good evenind everyone, I am doing some research on the topic of medieval leatherworking, especially how they tanned and dyed the leather. I am in the process of making some scabbards for swords with historically accurate technique, and most visual sources indicate that they were colored, and archaeological evidences show that they are predomimantly wrapped in leather (though fabric covered ones are present).

With my reenactment group we tried to dye leather using techniques and materials from fabric dyeing, with poor results. The only good result we achieved was black with vinegar and iron.

I am asking mainly sources of any type, but with a preference for books and written sources. Also books from the 18th or 19th Century will do, I bet techniques haven't changed much...

I can't help with any books/sources but brown stain made from walnut husks is likely to have been used as there's nothing complicated about making it, all you need are walnuts!