Unicum

Leather wrapping

Hello, I am looking for information on leather wrapping. The application is an antique box camera about the size of a large shoe box. So far all the sites for leather working are on topics of hand bags, wallets, key chains, shoes, saddles, holsters and other such items. I have not been able to find any sites on how to wrap something in leather. It seems like what is involved is making a template to cut the shape of the leather and then using glue wrap the camera. I wouldn’t think it is too difficult a job and I would practice on box shaped items first before moving on to the camera. The one part that does seem to be something that takes a good deal of know how are joining the edges to make it look seamless. On some of my antique cameras I have looked with a magnifying glass to try and find the seam where the leather joins and can’t find it. Does wrapping an antique camera in leather fall under upholstery or is there a different term for this skill? I have attached a photo of the camera for reference. Thank you. 

IMG_8295.jpeg

Look up: How to replace a leather inlay. It will give some good ideas & techniques. 

The other thing you can look up: How to replace leather lining on a wooden trunk.