Cherokee55

Stitching pony?

O.K. I read the post and saved the plans for the stitching horse but in reading some folks mentioned a "pony". I assume (ya, ya, I know about assuming :) ) that this is a smaller version. If so does someone have plans for this? Not ready to get so involved in constructing the horse at this time and I tried my hand at some stitching while holding the piece and scratched my finger twice and stuck another one. :( OUCH!

Thanks

http://www.leatherunltd.com/hardware/tools/tools.html

Scroll down till you see lacing pony. Places like this and Tandy have them. They are so cheap it is not worth the effort. I have gotten by when I needed to do a quick running repair miles from home by getting a LARGE bulldog clip and U bolting it to a length of wood to suit my height when seated on a dining chair. I have seen plans somewhere on the net. I will also see if I can find those for you.

Barra

There is a tutorial on how to make a stitching pony at the Wild Rose Trading Co. website. The URL is

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials...tchingpony.html

I haven't made one of these but I'm thinking about it. I made the stitching quarterhorse in the back of the Stholman sewing book. I like it but sometimes its just to big or to time consuming to get out and set up. It would be nice to have something smaller to use when you needed to do something quick or for smaller projects. Hope this helps.

Warren

There is a tutorial on how to make a stitching pony at the Wild Rose Trading Co. website. The URL is

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials...tchingpony.html

I haven't made one of these but I'm thinking about it. I made the stitching quarterhorse in the back of the Stholman sewing book. I like it but sometimes its just to big or to time consuming to get out and set up. It would be nice to have something smaller to use when you needed to do something quick or for smaller projects. Hope this helps.

Warren

That link doesn't seem to be working but here is another one, I believe it is the same pony Warren is describring, the spring cafe hinges are a nice touch

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials...therstitch.html

Chris

If you want something quick and cheap, I used 2 1x3's as the uprights with another 1x3 as a base (the piece you sit on) and used a short 1x3 as a spacer between the 2 uprights. I clamp it on the piece with a large spring clamp and have some deerhide nailed to the "jaw" area to keep from marking the piece I'm working on. If you want, I can send pictures, let me know I made it completely from stuff I had around the house.

I bought the one from Tandy (also the one in Leather Unlt'd) and after struggling with it for a month returned it. I just finished making the one from the link Chris posted and with a couple custom twirks absolutely love it. Well worth the effort.

PS: I covered the wing nut so I didn't keep catching my thread around it, put in a couple magnets on the sides to hold the needles if I need to stop for a bit and have a hook to hang a small pair of pliers for the hard to pull needle)

Quick and cheap......now that's what I'm talking about :) I would really appreciate the pictures! We have wood and scrap lumber, screws by the hundreds, hum, not sure about the spring clamp but that's easy.

Thanks ever so much.

If you want something quick and cheap, I used 2 1x3's as the uprights with another 1x3 as a base (the piece you sit on) and used a short 1x3 as a spacer between the 2 uprights. I clamp it on the piece with a large spring clamp and have some deerhide nailed to the "jaw" area to keep from marking the piece I'm working on. If you want, I can send pictures, let me know I made it completely from stuff I had around the house.

Thank ya'll so much!! I am truly humbled by all the post answering my question. Gotta get the dang laundry done but then I'll head out to the shop and see what I can conjure up. :cheers:

I personally would find an alternative to the wing nut. every second stitch and the thread will find that wing nut as sure as my butt points to the ground. At the very least make some sort of leather flap to cover the nut.

Barra

In a pinch You can also use 2 short pieces of 1x4 and a "C" clamp. Most husbands keep these hidden in the garage :) Just put some soft cloth over the edges of the wood to keep from marking your leather.

I have the stitching pony from Tandy and never use it. Someone is free to it for $10 plus actual USPS shipping cost.

ed

In a pinch You can also use 2 short pieces of 1x4 and a "C" clamp. Most husbands keep these hidden in the garage :) Just put some soft cloth over the edges of the wood to keep from marking your leather.

:P Ah, ya see, at my house, I know the shop and where things belong just about as well as my darlin' husband does. The problem starts when the half grown kids don't put stuff back where it belongs. Dad blast it, 1x4 is about the only thing I don't have, so it's a trip to the lumber store for me. Wouldn't ya know I WANT TO SEW but first I have to replace the oil sending unit on my Jeep.