OK_ I can already hear all of you thinking that I own 85% of the Bickmore company but...........

I can't believe how neat this stuff is. I just finished a rainy afternoon practice piece( they ALL become coasters for my wife) and for fun I antiqued the piece and then ran the #2 edger around it. As always it left a rim of natural leather that I would normally dye or leave natural and rub with saddle soap and burnish.

Since I used the Bick and British tan I squirted a bit onto some sheepskin and ran it around the piece. No problem with color as the whole piece was done with it.

While it was still wet I grabbed my piece of canvas and within SECONDS I had a burnished edge that I have rarely gotten with soap and loked like I spent 20 minutes wearing out my arm with bee's wax.

Plus the Bicks conditioned the edge at the same time.

OK- let the mail begin....

pete

Hi Pete,

I just dampen the edge, wipe off the excess water and burnish with a piece of denim, and it doesn't take long at all, usually finishing-up with a piece of antler; way less than 5 minutes for a holster main seam. On gunbelts, I use the Binford 9000 (Baldor Buffer) with a felt wheel. I generally do the edgework before I finish.

Art

OK_ I can already hear all of you thinking that I own 85% of the Bickmore company but...........

I can't believe how neat this stuff is. I just finished a rainy afternoon practice piece( they ALL become coasters for my wife) and for fun I antiqued the piece and then ran the #2 edger around it. As always it left a rim of natural leather that I would normally dye or leave natural and rub with saddle soap and burnish.

Since I used the Bick and British tan I squirted a bit onto some sheepskin and ran it around the piece. No problem with color as the whole piece was done with it.

While it was still wet I grabbed my piece of canvas and within SECONDS I had a burnished edge that I have rarely gotten with soap and loked like I spent 20 minutes wearing out my arm with bee's wax.

pete

Water works fine, so does dye or Leather Balm. The trick is the friction created with the burnishing, and denim or canvas is great, so is scrap deerskin. I'm gonna have to try these Bickmore products. I've been hearing good things about them, and we're all going to be looking for alternatives when the California "hazardous leatherworking chemicals" paranoia sweeps the country. Thank goodness we can get by with tap water for many jobs, huh?

Johanna

From what i have been told Cali tap water is a hazardous chemical

pete

This is not really on topic, but. . . Pete, are you saying you used the Bickmore stuff mixed with dye to antique the leather, too? I've never used Bick's leather-care products, and I'm interested in hearing more about it. Did you use the Bick-4 conditioner? I would be interested in seeing what this antiquing method looks like. . .

Thank you,

LBum

p.s. Has anyone ever used Apple Polishes' products? I noticed they have the same address and telephone number as Bickmore. . . Odd, they appear to be the same company. . .?

I sure do. If you look at the earlier post you'll see that I use Bick#4 mixed with Feibing's dye . I makes it go on without spots or streaks and it is great for some of the funky leather that I get occasionally that still looks pale or whitish even after I oil it.

I buff it and put the antique directly on after without any lacquer or resist. Makes the antique paste go on evenly too and the conditioner(#4) makes it easier to rub off

I'll second that also. It works great for me if I want ONE color. It is the only way I can get really even coloring on large areas. I don't think I would use it if I were going to apply different colors (e.g. paint).

Regis