Sign in to follow this  
Steel Dragon

Introduction

Well lets see. My name is Alex Portanova. I'm 42 and originally from Brooklyn, NY but I moved to North Carolina around 7 years ago. I first started with leather when I was in the boy scouts. Just wristbands and things like that. I fooled around with leather here and there over the years with small items (kits mostly), but nothing serious.

When I moved to North Carolina I started painting motorcycles and turned my garage into a paint shop. I only had one neighbor and there was 2 acres of land between us so it wasn't a problem with fumes and dust. One day I decided to make a seat for my bike and ended up making a tool bag and hand grip covers. Well people seemed to like it a lot so I got started making little things again. I moved a few years ago to a new area and now have neighbors all around me so I gave up painting and decided to work only with leather. I started off only making motorcycle seats but now I'll make what ever someone wants. I've been making journals, renn fair stuff, wallets, belts, phone cases all kinds of things.

The business was named Steel Dragon Customs when I was doing mostly paint jobs. Now it's Steel Dragon Custom Leather. Here's a link to my site (it's still a work in progress) ... http://www.steeldragoncustoms.com/

Well I guess that covers it. :) I'm glad I found this list and look forward to being able to share ideas and learn more about working with leather.

Alex

:welcome: Hello and welcome!

We have a great group of folks here, and we're all learning from each other's mistakes and successes. Glad to have you with us!

Johanna

Hi Steel Dragon

Thanks for the compliments. I fool around with the web site here and there at night when I have time. Guess it'll always be a work in progress. :)

Alex

Edited by Steel Dragon

Welcome aboard. Nice site. I really like the pirate map seat. How long did that one take you?

Thanks Major

Just the top of that pirate seat took around 12 -13 hours to go from from transfering the design, to cutting, and tooling.

The lacing took almost just as long. :)

Welcome, Alex!