Sign in to follow this  
wayner123

weird/rare hides

I am looking to do something really interesting. I would be very interested in what weird/rare hides you all have seen or heard of. I think it would be great, as I am kind of stuck on ideas for what could else be leather?

Besides the standard exotics (ostrich, shark, snake, lizard, etc.) I have researched and found the following hides:

Beaver Tail

Elephant

Seal

Kangaroo

Frog

If any of you have seen or heard of any more please let me know. I do not approve of poaching in any way. I do however wonder if they make leather from deceased Zoo lions or tigers? This is just speculation. Again NO poaching!! Anyways, let me know guys and gals. Hopefully my upcoming project will be truly unique.

Carp, Stingray, turkey, elephant, eel. Just to rattle off a few. I really like beaver. I play around with it every chance I get. :blink::unsure:

If it has skin it can be made.

Wayner,

A couple others that come to mind - stingray (about any color or pattern you can think of now). I think hippo is a very neat feeling leather. I haven't bought any yet, but am kicking that idea around. As far as deceased zoo animals, most of those are restricted from being sold under the CITES regulations. Also even some of the now endangered species that were legally obtained before CITES went into effect are pretty iffy to trade. Some states have different regulations than the national regs too, so it pays to check. Jerry VanAmburg and John Fong both deal in a lot of exotics.

Bruce Johnson

I don't like stingray all that much. But Hippo sounds awesome!! Besides the two that were named are there any other places these weird leathers might be purchased?

Turkey... well that's just weird. Thanks guys. This is neat.

Anyone ever use or hear of Bear leather? Is it even legal?

Edited by wayner123

Stingray - http://www.stingrayproducts.com/index.cfm

Kangaroo - https://www.davidmorgan.com/index.php

Van Amburg - http://vanamburgleathers.com

Carp, Perch - http://www.sealeatherwear.com/index.php?azx=1024

Just a few. I agree the turkey was weird. A guy in my local guild made a pair of ear rings and a neclace out of it. Looks very similar to ostrich. Now hippo, that sounds like it would be interesting.

Edited by The Major

Hello,

This company is from Calgary where i live and work, they have some leathers made from fish of all kinds. They also make golf gloves from it.

http://www.sealeatherwear.com/?azx=1016

Ok, I am kind of hooked in now on hippo leather. Anyone know some other place that sell it besdies Van Amburg? And maybe what it runs per sq. ft.?

P.S. Maybe bearskin (no hair) as well if anyone has any input for this?

Edited by wayner123

Wayner,

No ideas on sources for dehaired bearhides. Other sources for the hippo might be Sheridan Leather Outfitters in Sheridan WY. They have quite a few exotics not listed in their catalog. Good people to deal with. John Fong might have it also. He is in San Francisco. Don't know why, I just haven't dealt with him.

That said, I just like dealing with Jerry VanAmburg on exotics. He has always played "let's make a deal" with me at the shows, has good stuff or knows where to get it. If you have ever dealt with him in person or on the phone, just that contact will be the equivalent of shotgunning 3 Red Bulls. He goes 9-0 with his hair on fire. He is probably tough to get ahold of this week, traveling to Sheridan I'm sure. The prices of these exotics kind of fluctuates. Show prices are usually better than phone prices, but worth a call in another week or so. Depending on how the show goes, still might be some deals at home too.

Regarding the turkey leather, used to go by the name of "gallapava". I had some boots from it back in the day when I was single and still had money. The boots lasted as long as money does once you're married. Turkey skin is meant to stay on the bird through the roasting process.

Bruce Johnson

Don't forget HUMAN skin.

Some very old human skin bound books are still around and in very good condition.

Try this: http://www.johnfongexoticleathers.com/

/ Knut

Don't forget HUMAN skin.

Some very old human skin bound books are still around and in very good condition.

Very close to Pig leather! innocent.gif

/ Knut

Ostrich Market

I know I have used alot of different stuff.Never tried hippo.I have tried different fish species and lots of snakes.Dave

anyways you can also try here, they are local and a big distributor.

On 5/15/2007 at 10:52 AM, wayner123 said:

I am looking to do something really interesting. I would be very interested in what weird/rare hides you all have seen or heard of. I think it would be great, as I am kind of stuck on ideas for what could else be leather?

Besides the standard exotics (ostrich, shark, snake, lizard, etc.) I have researched and found the following hides:

Beaver Tail

Elephant

Seal

Kangaroo

Frog

If any of you have seen or heard of any more please let me know. I do not approve of poaching in any way. I do however wonder if they make leather from deceased Zoo lions or tigers? This is just speculation. Again NO poaching!! Anyways, let me know guys and gals. Hopefully my upcoming project will be truly unique.

Snapping turtle, sturgeon, canebreak rattler, Texas hornback lizard, pangolin (anteater) turkey, hippo, snapping turtle, giraffe, Nile monitor, tegu lizard, and probably more I’m forgetting. I know it’s an old post, just in case anybody sees this, I have them all, in stock