Sign in to follow this  
David Fields

Introduction

Howdy, I just discovered this site through a link posted on the Homesteading Today web site. I've been interested in leather craft since I was a kid back in the 1950's but had never attempted to make anything until last year when I bought a large amount of leather crafting tools on ebay. The first piece I tooled was on a scrape of leather I had. The second was a cell phone case kit I got at Tandy and the third was a key case also from Tandy. Please give me a critique of my 3 pieces so far and any suggestions for improvement. I know the one thing I have trouble with is my lacing abilities.

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

So glad I found this site, I hope it will motivate me to do more leather craft.

Dave

Welcome to the forum Dave, glad you found us. Your work looks real good so far, your tooling is very clean. As to the lacing, practice, practice, practice, and it will come to you. Good Luck.

Ken

The tooling is VERY nice indeed. I'd say something mean, but it would just be out of jealousy. I won't mention the lacing because I can't do it! I'm still trying to figure out the mallets...

Nice work!

Brent

Hi Dave welcome to the forum, your work is very nice, i also cant comment on lacing as i have no idea how to do it but there are some great braiders here so we all can learn, Don

welcome dave!

your tooling looks real good considering you have just started.

it along with your lacing will get better with practice.

i would have burnished the edges on that cell phone case

:welcome: Hi Dave - welcome to the forum your work is very nice. You will find a lot of good people a good information here.

Glad to have you join Dave. Looks like you are off to a great start.

hello Dave, you tooling looks great.....But......

i would suggest that you kick it up a coupla notches

and strive for the double cordivan lacing on the edges.

Thanks for everybodys input, it's much appreciated. I've been reading and checking out all the various areas of the forum but still have a lot to read. I must say there are a lot of talented folks on here.

beezachoppa - thanks for the input. At the time I didn't know what I was doing (still don't :biggrin: ) and didn't know about burnishing the edges. I'm still learning the different tools and what they are used for. Thankfully I found a book called "Leathercraft Tools" by Al Stohlman that has helped identify some of the tools I have.

Luke Hatley - thank you for your input. I tried and tried to do a double cardivan lacing on the key case and got so frustrated I gave up and ended up with what you see here. I need lots of practice on my lacing. I have a billfold kit that I will be doing this winter sometime and definately want double cardivan lacing on that.

Again, thanks to everyone for your inputs. I will be spending a lot of time on here I think.

Dave