Can anyone post a finished piece that has used this process?

here ya go....

HPIM1121__Small_.JPG

post-5140-1218900442_thumb.jpg

Does the metal need to be real rusty? I used a gallon of white vinegar, and put in a small handful of nails that had some rust on them, let it sit and stew for about 4 days, couldn't see any difference in the vinegar, and all it did was get the leather damp.

I just tossed in a chunk of 000 steel wool that I have, and going to let it sit for a few more days, but didn't know if the rust was a key component??

Does the metal need to be real rusty? I used a gallon of white vinegar, and put in a small handful of nails that had some rust on them, let it sit and stew for about 4 days, couldn't see any difference in the vinegar, and all it did was get the leather damp.

I just tossed in a chunk of 000 steel wool that I have, and going to let it sit for a few more days, but didn't know if the rust was a key component??

I've never done this, but speaking as someone who's researched iron liquor as a mordant for dyeing textiles... yes, the rust is key. What you want is ferrous oxide: the rust. The vinegar opens the pores of the leather, and the ferrous oxide reacts with the tannins in the leather, turning it dark.

I want to make some of this myself, so my current cunning plan is to get some steel wool, wet it down and let it sit for a couple of days till it gets good and rusty, and then let it steep in the vinegar.

I want to make some of this myself, so my current cunning plan is to get some steel wool, wet it down and let it sit for a couple of days till it gets good and rusty, and then let it steep in the vinegar.

I think Chuck Burrows says you need to clean the oil off of the steel wool before putting it in the vinegar. I don't know what the reason is for this; does anyone else?

I don't have acetone (which I think is what he recommended for this), so I just attempted to wash off some #0000 steel wool with water and other cleaners. I don't think the oil was cleaned off sufficiently (I can now see oil of some sort floating on the top of the liquid), but I submerged three (I think) steel wool pads in apple cider vinegar anyway and covered the top of the jar with some folded plastic wrap with several holes in it. After just a few days, I could dip leather in or use a wool dauber to apply the solution to the leather, rinse it off, oil it, and it became quite black. It's actually a rather fascinating reaction -- a very cool process.

Anyway, that's my experience so far. ;)

L'Bum

Edited by Leather Bum

go find some train tracks and get a few railroad spikes...always some laying around...your solution will be good 2 go in 2 days ;0)

darryl

p.s take out metal after its cured good...filter juice with an old t-shirt every so often as well...

Edited by sodapop

I think Chuck Burrows says you need to clean the oil off of the steel wool before putting it in the vinegar. I don't know what the reason is for this; does anyone else?

I don't have acetone (which I think is what he recommended for this), so I just attempted to wash off some #0000 steel wool with water and other cleaners. I don't think the oil was cleaned off sufficiently (I can now see oil of some sort floating on the top of the liquid), but I submerged three (I think) steel wool pads in apple cider vinegar anyway and covered the top of the jar with some folded plastic wrap with several holes in it. After just a few days, I could dip leather in or use a wool dauber to apply the solution to the leather, rinse it off, oil it, and it became quite black. It's actually a rather fascinating reaction -- a very cool process.

Anyway, that's my experience so far. ;)

L'Bum

Acetone is easy to get -- it's nail polish remover. Just be sure to check the ingredients; some varieties are now made without it.

go find some train tracks and get a few railroad spikes...always some laying around...your solution will be good 2 go in 2 days ;0)

darryl

p.s take out metal after its cured good...filter juice with an old t-shirt every so often as well...

That is a great idea. Thanks...

Also, I am wondering if this is something that you can just keep adding to as you go along, kind of like sourdough starter, or should you use it all up and make a new batch??

you can just add to it...until its gets too diluted of course...use a test piece when in doubt and you'll know in seconds after ya dip it...or when you know you'd added x amount fresh vinager...just put the iron back in for a few days...like i mentioned, filter it every so often...cuz their will be iron crud that settles if ya don't...or some weird foam crap on the top in the beginning...but that will subside in time along with the funky smell...

even though my juice was effective in a couple of days...i didn't take the spikes out for a good 2 weeks or so...not until it was like a real dark tea...then removed them...

you'll get a feel for it once you've monkey'd with it a bit...no rocket science with vinagroon...

darryl

Edited by sodapop

Steel wool comes with a light oil coating. It's oiled to keep it from rusting while it sits on the store shelf (or at your shop in a jug of vinegar).

Dan

Could you use a nice clean plastic bucket to mix it in or do you think it would effect the mixture??

I have lotsa pool chemical buckets around the garage that I use for just about everything. As the pool chemicals are dry items when in the bucket, they wash out pretty easily.

I would hate for something unexpected to happen and it explode on the wife's nice pretty back porch....hehehe Don't think I would be able to blame that on the dog!

cal

I keep mine in one of those big folgers coffee jugs. The red plastic one with the black top. No issue what so ever. The lid isnt air tight either so I dont have to worry about it blowing up all over the place.

I have read similar to this before for dying rawhide.

The iron oxide from the rust is the key to holding the colour fast and pretty much any acidic compound works.

Usually it was oak galls that were used over here as far as I know, And I have made black as black ink this way.

Never thought of trying vinegar though. I would still look for a fallen oak anyway and strip the bark from it.

Cool to know though

thanks

I just found this thread and I'm so excited to try this method! I have a "vintage" saddle I need to "dye" black - I think this thread just saved me a ton of time and headaches!

LOLLY.........ONE THING TO THINK ABOUT. THE OLD SADDLE WILL HAVE A LOT OF OIL

IN THE LEATHER AND THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THE VINAGROON DYE WILL NOT WORK

ON THE OLD OILED LEATHER.

FROM WHAT I HAVE READ AND DID, IT ONLY WORKS ON UN TREATED VEG TANNED LEATHER.

HOPEFULLY CHUCK BURROWS WILL CHIME IN WITH MORE INFORMATION FOR YOU

Well that just burst my bubble of happiness. Does anyone know if this method works on previously finished leather? I started a thread on the saddle in the restoration and repair section - here's a link. (I will be tearing the saddle down, cleaning and deglazing it before I attempt dyeing it with either vinegaroon or dye.) Help! :begging:

Good day

I work in a tyre bay and recently bought me a cruiser motorcycle. It is a 1993 virago and could not find saddlebags. So the plan came togheter...

I had to make a custom pattern because the flicker light is located the worst place if you want to ad saddlebags.

We have a few wrecked trucks and they have leather curtains in front of the sleeper compartments. The only problem that I had was that they are grey... The rusted vinegar idea is great but would not work for me, I need to weather proof the leather.

I have applied a few layers of black liquid tyre paint (AP20 Victor) and must say it is the best dye that I have ever used. not only does it give you that real mat slightly shiny as new black leather would look, it also weather proof's the leather.

Will add photo's later.

So what is wrong with regular black dye for leather? Is rub off after dyeing a huge problem? Sorry but I am new to the dyeing aspect of leather. 

Yes, it can be a problem, but so can rub-off of brown, or red or blue...

Its all in your treatment of the dyeing, buffing and sealing