leatheroo

masterpieces

We all frequently see amazing, jaw dropping pieces of work on this forum, but some are really out there in terms of quality, design and originality.

It was suggested in another post that we need a masterpiece section. I thought i would start a topic and see how other people felt and their ideas and suggestions.

One of the ideas that popped into my head

Monthly Masterpiece...one outstanding piece of work that is featured for a month with information on the making of the piece and some info and background on the maker. At the end of the month, it could be moved to the Masterpiece gallery for eternity!!! The gallery could be a place where you could see the very best work there is.

Who would pick the piece of work ?...... panel, voting or other?

I have no idea how difficult it would be for the hard working people that keep this site up and running :You_Rock_Emoticon: to implement a voting thingy.

Any way, lets hear your ideas, suggestions or rejections

I would love to see that. It would be a reminder to keep practicing.

Casey

I would like that as well

Josh

One of the spray painting forums I visit has a very similar thing. Each month a thread is opened for submissions and then at the end of the month another thread is opened for voting with a poll.

http://airbrushtechnique.com/forums/f258/

I think this would be a great idea. Can't wait to see it. James

This sounds like a great idea.Dave

I think that this would be a great idea but instead of people submitting work you just post and hopefully Johanna and some really knowledgeable folks will select the pieces based on their own criteria.

In my old newsgroup we had one poster who would post "the best of RSB (rec.sport.billiards)" each month and the selections were made by him and a few other unidentified posters. It was nothing official but we all felt a little pride when something we wrote made it to the "best of" list in a month.

I know of a forum that also does something like JohnBarton suggests... there is a "nominate" button at the bottom of each post. People nominate things they feel are the best - in the case of that forum, best use of language. At the end of the month, the person in charge goes through all the nominations and picks out what they feel are the best 10. Then they put up a thread with the top ten, and everyone votes on which one they feel is the very best for that month. The winner gets a special little banner under their name for the month, that looks like a little medal of honor.

Naturally some people are very gifted writers and win again and again while others (like me!) have never even been nominated... but it sure gives you something to strive for. It's made me pay more attention to my spelling and grammar. I'm sure a "Best of the Leatherworker" award would be inspiring to everyone.

Our own little mini IFoLG show online....hmmm, interesting. Due to the sheer number of potential submissions, and the moderating team being pretty busy, we'd need to find a way to limit it. Still, it's an alluring premise. I wonder if this is already covered in some of the events we have here, like the 'swivel knife shoot out'? It seems like it's kinda the same thing- submissions are sent to Paul, and there's a prize for the top three. Maybe we could wrap this in with our 'monthly challenges' when we have them.

Edited by TwinOaks

I know that a few of you are on the FLASAH Yahoo group and they have contests every few months. LW.N could do that, with or without prizes, and the winners piece could be placed in the "gallery of the uber cool". Maybe have a couple of contest a year an open theme and then have a couple theme based.

:) I have to confess... I wasn't really serious about creating a "Masterpieces" forum... That was just my weird way of complimenting John on his superb pool cue case. However, it is kind of unfortunate that some of the finest work here gets buried in the midst of a thousand other posts. A good example... David Theobald's koi fish seat. It would be really nice to have that post easily accessible in a special forum, along with other work on that level.

Here's how I would do it to keep it straight-forward. Instead of a contest, I think any member should be able to nominate someone's post for the "Masterpieces" forum. Then, another member should second the nomination. Finally, one of the forum moderators would have to approve and execute the move. That means two forum members plus an admin would have to agree that the work is on that level.

Anyway, I hope my offbeat comment doesn't cause more work for our site administrators, :innocent: but I have to agree with Leatheroo and others... Such a forum would be a nice addition... And nice recognition for some of our more expert craftspeople.

Regards, -Alex

I know of a forum that also does something like JohnBarton suggests... there is a "nominate" button at the bottom of each post. People nominate things they feel are the best - in the case of that forum, best use of language. At the end of the month, the person in charge goes through all the nominations and picks out what they feel are the best 10. Then they put up a thread with the top ten, and everyone votes on which one they feel is the very best for that month. The winner gets a special little banner under their name for the month, that looks like a little medal of honor.

Naturally some people are very gifted writers and win again and again while others (like me!) have never even been nominated... but it sure gives you something to strive for. It's made me pay more attention to my spelling and grammar. I'm sure a "Best of the Leatherworker" award would be inspiring to everyone.

i like your idea on choosing a piece,instant inspiration at the click of a mouse, what a site that would be,hope for all n for all to see,masterpieces for you n me! pete

what a great idea. The idea of maybe voting for your favorite monthly piece would be exciting I think if it took off we could see some very good items

The moderators had a discussion on having some sort of "masters" thread, but (I'm generalizing here) one of the concerns is the whole comparison thing. Already we have to deal with it at shows - where I myself have heard people say things like "I'll never be that good". We don't want to scare people away from posting who are beginners. That said, I myself like the idea of finding some way for maybe an "amazing work of the month" or some such thing to be voted on by members and posted somewhere special. It would be nice to have it done as a vote like that because, at least to me, it's nice to be recognized by the group. I just don't know if it can be done technology-wise.

Again, the above is my .02, with my own recollections.

Are we finally going to see a leatherworking 'Masters' section in the new change around?

Ray