resqman

Newbie from North Carolina

Newbie from North Carolina. I always wanted to make something besides a wrist band with name since I was a boy scout 30 years ago.

I found an old box of tools, mallets, and assorted stuff in the garage left over from my scouting days. Basically the Lucky 7. Picked up a few How To books from the local Tandy store and started with a Sheridan half back. First attempt was pretty rough but I could see where with a little practice it might get better.

Been banging on leather for about 4-5 months now off and on as work and family allow. I think I have caught the bug. The clerks at Tandy call me by my first name when I stop in.

I am looking for some one locally who I can watch to see find ways to tool better. In the mean time, I am just forging ahead in an effort to get better on my own. So far the forum looks to be a wealth of information.

Check your local Tandy store, They should have some classes.... and Welcome !

I find leather to be a satisfying and rewarding hobby!

Edited by Greybeard

:welcome: to the forum! From a little west of you.

Another NC newbie here in Pittsboro, just South of Chapel Hill.

I have been reading and posting here for about a month or so.

I shop at the Raleigh TLF as well - great folks - especially appreciate the young female associate with the tattoos and Aulbern(?sp), the store manager.

Hey man welcome aboard.

There are a few of us from NC. I'm in Lexington, another member lives up close to Ramseur where we meet sometimes at Zack Whites.

WELLCOME ! This is the right place to be ! :spoton: Raleigh

Out of Pittsboro, here, too! Welcome to the Internet's greatest Forum!

Welcome, you'll love it here. If you look on youtube there are some videos on leatherworking there. Rusty

Thank you for all the warm welcomes.

I looked at the extreme workshop a few weeks ago after seeing a flyer at TLF. The cost for the show/classes seemed reasonable but when I added in the travel, room, and food it became more that I could reasonably spend for a hobby.

The real estate market has tanked and as a home inspector, my income is directly linked to home sales. No sales, no income. For some reason, the wife thinks that the mortgage and food is more important that a weekend of fun in the mountains.

Welcome aboard..I am new to this sight as well...But it seems like agreat group of careing people who will help.Im up here in the Old Line State.

:welcome: I saw the handbags you posted in the Show Off forum, and I think it's safe to say you've come a long way in just five months. Looks like you have some natural talent going for you, so keep it up!

Good to have you here.

I am a Newbie from Clayton, NC. I haven't introduced myself yet but I will soon. The Raleigh Tandy store has a free class every Saturday at 9:30 to 12:30 or later. I think you can just wall in anytime.

I haven’t been to it yet, perhaps tomorrow. Have you been to it?

Pat

I signed up for the Sat morning class several times. Either the class was cancelled by the store or I could not attend for some reason.