Go2Tex

Lastest creation

Just to show ya'll that I have actually been doing something besides playing on the Leatherworker forum.............

Got all the goodies on this one. Bork hardware, W&C chestnut leather, Weber 4" brass bell stirrups, Weaver shearling wool, built on a Ben Swanke tree, my first from him and I really enjoyed it. What a nice tree! I think I'm hooked.

I included some contruction pics to show how I layed this cantle back and the sharper break, though not perfect, the importance of the groundwork became crystal clear on this one.

saddle_28_070.jpg

saddle_28_036.jpg

saddle_28_002.jpg

saddle_28_010.jpg

saddle_28_017.jpg

saddle_28_026.jpg

post-1925-1234278873_thumb.jpg

post-1925-1234279005_thumb.jpg

post-1925-1234279155_thumb.jpg

post-1925-1234279787_thumb.jpg

post-1925-1234279929_thumb.jpg

post-1925-1234280184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Go2Tex

Thats a really nice looking saddle. I really liked the way you transitioned from the meandering to the floral work. Great job.

Tex, real nice workmanship :clapping: ... did you buy that saddle from the neighbor? that shop doesn't even look dirty :rofl:

Nice! Love the color! :yes:

Really nice Brent! I, too, like the way you brought the border out from behind the floral corners. It adds a lot depth to the tooling design. Good job!

Bob

Stunning. Just stunning.

Wow! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

GREAT LOOKING SADDLE.. whad did you you use to put on as a final finish?

Brent,

Very very nice.... As always I love the additional photos and details that are shown. For instance without the back to front shot, we would have never seen all the extra detail of the floral work on the back of the cantle and the binding. Additional detail like that would have helped sell the saddle. Great shots.

Regards,

Ben

well I must say, you are heck of a saddle maker and even though we haven't always seen I to eye on stuff, I am gratefull for any input when ever you feel like it. Great work and thanks for posting makes me want to do better in my work. Wow that's a beauty

Josh

Tex, real nice workmanship :clapping: ... did you buy that saddle from the neighbor? that shop doesn't even look dirty :rofl:

As a matter of fact, I got out the shop vac just before doing the final pics of this saddle. The pics that show the a bit of the shop don't show the mess that is normally piled pretty high when I'm in the middle of a saddle. I try to keep the floor swept up after I carve out a seat because there is a lot of scraps and shavings on the floor. I like to be able to glance around the floor when I come in and spot any kritters like scorpions and the like so I can get out the bug killer. But, seriously, a clean work space makes for a clean project. I try to clean as I go.

GREAT LOOKING SADDLE.. whad did you you use to put on as a final finish?

Thanks Luke, I gave it a good coat of Tan Kote. And thanks to all for the very kind words and compliments. I put this one on "FeeBay" so, we'll see how the not-so bipartisan Democrat Spendulous Package is working so far.

A very beautiful saddle ! What did you use to get that beautiful color??

That beautiful!!!!!! I want to know how to get STARTED!

Very nice,

A very beautiful saddle ! What did you use to get that beautiful color??

It's drum dyed chestnut from Wicket & Craig.

Real nice work as usual Brent.........especially for a Texican building a buckaroo rig!JW

Real nice work as usual Brent.........especially for a Texican building a buckaroo rig!JW

Yeah, there is some interest in Wades down here, but it looks like I'm gonna have to start building some swell forks so folks recognize that it's supposed to go on a horse. I'm also working on a more typical South Texas ranch saddle finish...... yeah, neatsfoot oil mixed with sand, then drug through some cactus for that "antique" look. That oughta turn some heads. heheh

And, I've come up with a new carving feature to adorn them..... the poison oak leaf design with cutter ant bite holes in everything else. It seems poison oak is about the only thing they won't eat.

Yeah, there is some interest in Wades down here, but it looks like I'm gonna have to start building some swell forks so folks recognize that it's supposed to go on a horse. I'm also working on a more typical South Texas ranch saddle finish...... yeah, neatsfoot oil mixed with sand, then drug through some cactus for that "antique" look. That oughta turn some heads. heheh

And, I've come up with a new carving feature to adorn them..... the poison oak leaf design with cutter ant bite holes in everything else. It seems poison oak is about the only thing they won't eat.

Ha!..........that's pretty good, and true. Since I am about 2/3rds west Texan myself, I understand. I build swell forks primarily, but I am working on a wade currently. Getting ready to build a hybrid.......swell fork with a wood post horn. Again Brent, really nice work! JW

Ha!..........that's pretty good, and true. Since I am about 2/3rds west Texan myself, I understand. I build swell forks primarily, but I am working on a wade currently. Getting ready to build a hybrid.......swell fork with a wood post horn. Again Brent, really nice work! JW

Don't tell me, let me quess.... a modified association by any chance?

Don't tell me, let me quess.... a modified association by any chance?

I have actually built the swell fork / wood post horn combo with Buster Welch Roper style swells, Will James and a mod association. This one coming up would probably best be described as a Low Association. This one will be for myself, and Jon Watsabaugh is building the tree. Maybe I can remember to post a photo of the tree when Jon gets it ready. JW

Edited by jwwright

I have actually built the swell fork / wood post horn combo with Buster Welch Roper style swells, Will James and a mod association. This one coming up would probably best be described as a Low Association. This one will be for myself, and Jon Watsabaugh is building the tree. Maybe I can remember to post a photo of the tree when Jon gets it ready. JW

I'll be looking forward to seeing that one. Please do.

Those Swanke trees are nice huh. I just ordered two more myself.