Sign in to follow this  
Frank

Tandy

Hey All,

I'm not sure how many of you use Tandy's Neat Lac but if you have a chance to grab any you might want to do it today! They are going to stop manufacturing it again. I bought the last of it in my area and the dealer said he cannot find it at the main warehouse or any other store that he checked. I used it strictly for finishing my edges but now I have to find something new to use. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hey All,

I'm not sure how many of you use Tandy's Neat Lac but if you have a chance to grab any you might want to do it today! They are going to stop manufacturing it again. I bought the last of it in my area and the dealer said he cannot find it at the main warehouse or any other store that he checked. I used it strictly for finishing my edges but now I have to find something new to use. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I've never used neat lac for finishing edges, but I have started using Tuff Kote for that same purpose. Fiebing's also has a clear Edge Kote.

ed

I've never used neat lac for finishing edges, but I have started using Tuff Kote for that same purpose. Fiebing's also has a clear Edge Kote.

ed

Thanks Ed. I used neat lac since it was super easy to apply with a brush and it dried almost instantly. My saddle making instructor got me started with using it. I'll see how the fiebings edge kote works. I use the tuff kote for the finishing coat on the leather itself but never used it on the edges. I appreciate the headds up.

Frank

I had heard a couple months ago that NeatLac was going to be dropped again, so I began asking about what was used BEFORE NeatLac was in existance. So thanks to some of the old timers in this business, I would suggest the use of Deft. It is a lacquer based clear wood finish and I believe it is offered in gloss, satin, and flat finishes. I have not tried it yet, but it sure smells very similar. You should be able to find it in places like Lowes and Home Depot.

David Theobald

Edited by David

I am down to my last quart and using sparingly. I can recall someone here offereing a "recipe" of sorts for making your own "Neat-Lac" but I have seen it in a while. The thread mentioned something about "rubberbands?"

I will have to keep that "Deft" in mind later, I appreciate the heads up.

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

~ Remember: Stop & Strop! ~

Somewhere in an earlier thread, Steve Brewer named a product they used to use, I can't rmember the name, but it was a wood laquer....he said it worked very well. That thread is only 2-3 months old, so it shouldn't be hard to find. Also, Johanna said that NeatLac is just Tolulene (spelling?). That would also be worth looking into. I was greedy enough to buy all the NeatLac left in Phoenix, so I'm good for a couple of years! :yeah:

Bob

Edited by hidepounder

Somewhere in an earlier thread, Steve Brewer named a product they used to use, I can't rmember the name, but it was a wood laquer....he said it worked very well. That thread is only 2-3 months old, so it shouldn't be hard to find. Also, Johanna said that NeatLac is just Tolulene (spelling?). That would also be worth looking into. I was greedy enough to buy all the NeatLac left in Phoenix, so I'm good for a couple of years! :yeah:

Bob

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into all possibilities. My instructor went out and bought all the Neat Lac in South Dakota, Alaska, and a few other states. I don't use quite as much as him so I bought out all of Wisconsin. I've tried having my dealer look for more but it seems that it's pretty much all gone. Hopefully I can figure out a good replacement for it.

If my memory serves me and it usually does not.

Neat Lac is a combo of neats foot oil and lacquer.

As David pointed out you can still buy the Deft

Brushable Lacquer at most of the home stores.

Now not being a chemist I would not feel comfortable

telling you to mix it up and see what you get. Albeit

you never know what will work till you try. I can

tell you one thing when you use the Deft inside it

is best to leave the room.That stuff will get you

higher than a bottle of the good whiskey. It does

give one beautiful finish on wood. Not to mention

it dries in 30 minutes.

WINDY