karl

swivel knife stand

Hi fellas, here is a picture of a stand I made for my swivel knives. I have 2 of those stands made by Tandy thay hold some 97 tools and 3 or 4 of the plastic ones also and always looking for a certain swivel knife with the blade I wanted, so I came up with this. Problem solved and now can put a few more tools in the other stands where I have a few doubled up in holes.

Karl swivel_knife_holder.JPG

post-110-1236021737_thumb.jpg

Excellent idea! I think I have some scrap wood around here somewhere that's just begging to be turned into a swivel knife rack. Thanks for sharing your idea.

No problem Chuck, I have 12 swivel knives and I figured it was about time to figure out something to keep them together and I only made it long enough for 8 swivel knives and even at that it's 11 inches long and I think I am going to put 1 or 2 channels in the base the length of it a couple of pencils or tools I'm using.

Karl

Great idea!

'Course if I made one for myself, I'd only have to make it a one holer. :blush:

Great idea!

'Course if I made one for myself, I'd only have to make it a one holer. :blush:

Hilly, It's a great Idea to have one made up with "the" swivel knife you're useing at the time and have anywhere from 6 to a dozen holes, (if needed) for the project you happen to be working on at the time.

In fact that's basically what I use 1 of those plastic holders that tandy makes for; just for the tools I am using at the time.

Karl

Edited by karl

Hey Karl,

You wanna sell that Tandy knife second from the left? :rolleyes:

Great idea.

Dave Theobald

Hey Karl,

You wanna sell that Tandy knife second from the left? :rolleyes:

Great idea.

Dave Theobald

David, Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll keep it, I bought that a long time ago when Tandy was selling them an also have 3 of the Al Stohlman swivel knives, and as you look at the stand I made, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th swivel knives I have written on the wooden holder what they are. The 1st swivel knife, I bought on Ebay (no name on it) but its 5/8's inch diameter like the tandy one next to iy.

Th 1st one has a C and a straight line to represent it is a ceramic blade and a straight blade. the next 4 swivel knives, #2, #3, #4, & #5 all have an "R" on them and designate that they are Ruby tipped blades and wheather they are straight or angle blades, and #6 is a Ceramic angle blade and #7 is labeled BB an is a stainless steel beader blade and #8 is an old tandy swivel knife that I made a home made combination undercut/beveler that comes in handy, But thanks for the offer any how.

Karl

Great idea for a knife stand to keep them handy. What do you have in the bottom of the holes to keep the blade off the wood? I have thougth of punching some holes the right size and putting them in the bottom of the swivel knife hole so the blade is resting on leather instead of wood. Just a thought.

Joe

Great idea for a knife stand to keep them handy. What do you have in the bottom of the holes to keep the blade off the wood? I have thougth of punching some holes the right size and putting them in the bottom of the swivel knife hole so the blade is resting on leather instead of wood. Just a thought.

Joe

Joe-

I just stuff a piece of sheepskin at the bottom of the hole. ANOTHER USE FOR YOUR SCRAPS AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT!!!!!

Joe

That is what I have done. I have not notice it dulling my knives.

RussH

Joe

Joe

That is what I have done. I have not notice it dulling my knives.

RussH

Fellas, I just cut out a piece of the 1/4inch foam I have used to pad saddle seats and cut it a little over size and push it down in there and watch it so it doesn't turn sideways and the blade sets on the foam padding.

Karl

Edited by karl

David, Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll keep it, I bought that a long time ago when Tandy was selling them an also have 3 of the Al Stohlman swivel knives, and as you look at the stand I made, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th swivel knives I have written on the wooden holder what they are. The 1st swivel knife, I bought on Ebay (no name on it) but its 5/8's inch diameter like the tandy one next to iy.

Th 1st one has a C and a straight line to represent it is a ceramic blade and a straight blade. the next 4 swivel knives, #2, #3, #4, & #5 all have an "R" on them and designate that they are Ruby tipped blades and wheather they are straight or angle blades, and #6 is a Ceramic angle blade and #7 is labeled BB an is a stainless steel beader blade and #8 is an old tandy swivel knife that I made a home made combination undercut/beveler that comes in handy, But thanks for the offer any how.

Karl

Hey David, Here is where I have my swivelknife stand setting on my work bench. There are some more pictures in the Leather Conversation section.

Karl

tool_bench__3.JPG

post-110-1236192139_thumb.jpg