Keltrey

Music to work to

When I am at work at the paying day job, I listen to Ranchandreata.com. It drives the teenagers nuts.

At home in the leathershop I listen to older country and some of the Aussie music I brought back from there. I also listen to Christian music to help me relax and get my mind right for working.

Joe

Now here's a topic I can warm up to. YA gotta listen while ya work. For me its Ian Tyson, Marty Robbins, and Chris Le Doux. I think it was Bruce J in an old post on a similar subject that turned me on to Clear out West Radio. And Bob...I too like to listen to audio books, and especially cowboy poetry. Bruce, you say the latest Ian is pretty good? I'll have to get that one now.

When I'm pounding on some leather or whatever in my shop, I listen to a Christian station. Actually, I listen to a couple different ones. One of 'em I really like. It's Christian talk radio where they really delve into the Bible and put it in practical terms for living today. They have guys like Chuck Swindoll on. The other station K-Love is just music. Now when I'm on the road taking my kid to high school rodeos, or if I'm off rodeoin' myself, I'll also pop in some Ian Tyson, Robert Earl Keen, or Chris LeDoux along with the Christian stations I can find. Being fairly new at the Christian walk, it seems like I need to stay plugged into the Word or something close to it or I find myself getting sucked back into my old thoughts and ways. And I can assure you, I don't want to go back down that road. But, bottom line, when I'm in my shop it's 99.9% Christian. Oh and I should add, it makes it harder when I mess something up to curse violently and throw things when I'm listening to my Christian music.....LOL

Edited by leatherrookie

I like Dave Stamey, Ian Tyson, Chris LeDoux. One of my favorites is Jesse Ballantyne and I just found Adrian, she is real good for a young one.

Among others I listen to, The Flying Burritto Brothers and Pure Prarie Legue. Also like some Rock and Roll, usually the older stuff.

Doug

Actually, it was me that brought this topic up last time...I was curious too. I'm glad it's back around again for discussion.

In my workshop I listen to primarily Celtic (my heritage) or Latino music (I have a degree in Spanish). We have such a variety of music in our house, that I could pick 'most anything: my husband listens to anything from classical (Mozart, Beethoven, etc) to classic rock (Pink Floyd, Rush), and aside from what I already mentioned for myself, I listen to alot of rock and country. My car radio is almost always on country.

I used to think country was awful until I started hanging out at the Tandy in Allentown, PA. The manager there, Frank Cardenal, played it because he felt it was the only thing family friendly. I was there so much, I really got hooked on it.

BTW, I do love the hammered dulcimer. Thanks for that link!!! There's a person at the PA Renaissance Faire that plays, and I am nuts about that sound.

BTW, I do love the hammered dulcimer. Thanks for that link!!! There's a person at the PA Renaissance Faire that plays, and I am nuts about that sound.

No problem :)

I thought that this would be great to get everyone chatting about. I too am probably going to be listening to audio books.

I also really like comedy talk radio. My buddy tuned me into these guys, they are based out of Detroit and I think they rival most of the comedy talk shows out there. Uncle Deercamp*(Adult Content). If you have kids running in and out of your shop it might not be the best thing to listen to, but if its just you working and are not offended by language and crude humor I think you'll like it.

I used to think country was awful until I started hanging out at the Tandy in Allentown, PA. The manager there, Frank Cardenal, played it because he felt it was the only thing family friendly. I was there so much, I really got hooked on it.

Same here. In high school and college, when I got my horn out, I was into the classics and various species of jazz. When I got out my guitar, it was folk and bluegrass. I used to think C&W was what the musically depraved listened to, along with hard rock, and later rap and hip-hop. But nowadays, I can "rock-out" on any of those genres.

When it comes down to it, just about any kind of music will grow on me if I hear enough of it, and start to "get" the spirit of it. The only thing that hasn't gotten through to me yet is stuff like chance music and avant garde. I don't think I'm missing out on much.

Kate

Depends on my mood. I'll go from classical, to hard rock, to oldies, to big band, to crooners of the 40s or to C&W.

Now if I want to be left alone I can just sing. LOL That will clear the shop.

Art

Buddy Holly, Boston, Louis Armstrong, Bachman Turner Overdrive, REO Speedwagon, Wylie and the Wild West, Dave Stamey, Bob Seger, Richard Elloyan, RW Hampton, Kandace Kalona, Adrian, Ian Tyson (really liking the new one), Juni Fisher, Eli Barsi. I have a few poetry compilations and a couple poetry CDs from Randy Rieman. I listen to those a fair amount too.

I like wylie and other old "Cowboy" Music and Cowboy poetry Ian tyson, Red Steagall, etc. My current favorite is David Wilkey and Cowboy Celtic. It seems that most old cowboy/ trail drive songs were adapted from celtic music from Ireland and Scotland. I have a real ecclectic collection that includes Jazz, Blues ,Pop ,Native American and even Bearing Straits from Siberia. Lee

I listen to audiobooks, mostly, but sometimes I switch the iPod to Pandora (I have an internet capable iPod touch and a home wireless network), or fire up one of my playlists. My "speeding ticket" mix is actually designed for riding my motorcycle, but it's fun to listen to anyway. I love video game soundtracks (the Halo 2 soundtrack is AMAZING), Celtic fusion like the Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly, modern folk like Great Big Sea, Enter The Haggis, or Wicked Tinkers, classic rock like The Who, Led Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult, and The Doors, and Southern rock, like The Allman Brothers, Molly Hatchet, Nazareth, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Then there's the modern stuff: Staind, Disturbed, Godsmack, Trapt, Green Day, Marilyn Manson, Lacuna Coil... the dance mixes by Rihanna, Black Eyed Peas, electronica by The Crystal Method, Daft Punk, Mindless Self Indulgence and Skinny Puppy, and my guilty pleasure pop by Avril Lavigne and No Doubt.

Yeah... kind of eclectic. I never know what mood I'm going to be in.

I generally listen to punk and ska - the type of ska I listen to is kind of like punk, but with horns and a reggae upbeat. Some of my favorite bands are Streetlight Manifesto, Bomb the Music Industry, Mad Caddies, NoFX, Vandals, etc.

I'll also admit to liking emo on occasion, but it's not a "staple."

depends on my mood as well, i'll listen to bob marley, tea party, rob zombie, metalica, queen, linkin park, blue october...the list goes on and on....can't do the country...sorry...thats what my mom would play to chase us out of the house ;) actually, i don't mind some of the older stuff sometimes...like conway twitty and johnny cash.

I just ran across some great music. If you like Ian Tyson, I think you will like Tom Russell, especially "Songs of the West". Ian has recorded and co-wrote songs with Tom Russell.

One of my favorite songs on this album is "The sky above, the mud below"

His songs will enhance your tooling experienc :-)

Doug