TomSwede

Necklace, work in progress

The updated person may see that this will one will match a recent post from me. I'm not sure I will use this necklace but the heart I am happ with. It is made out as a practice piece beacause it has goat lining on the back and I need to practice with glueing and stuff. Not completely happy with edges. I'm sanding them but think I'll need some finer paper..anyways the fun piece is the heart I think. I glued 4 heart shaped pieces together and used sandpaper to shape it and then slicked it really well, coloured it, slicked some more and put a two coats of acrylic sealer to it. Happy with how the heart turned out.

Tom

IMG_8462_01.jpg

IMG_8481_01.jpg

IMG_8482_01.jpg

post-5146-1237158906_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1237158948_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1237159051_thumb.jpg

Looks great Tom. How does it connect in the back?

Art

:thumbsup::P:thumbsup:

Jag kan bara speculera till vem *S*

Too cool for School, Tom!

Must be that cold arctic wind...lol

Looks great Tom. How does it connect in the back?

Art

Thanks art!! Still trying to figure out how to fit the heart more securely than just glue it in. The fit is very snug in the cout out of the main leather.

Forgot to mention this in original post, lol but it is a development project the trial and error way. I could just mak two holes through it all and and run a thread right through. Maybe a small stone or small silver heart with a fit fitting could sit on top hiding the thread if so.

Sometimes it's fun to just start of a job and solve problems as we go so to speak. Normally I think my stuff through very well before starting.

:thumbsup::P:thumbsup:

Jag kan bara speculera till vem *S*

Jepp, finns bara en;-)

Bra jobbat Syrran :spoton:

Formen är tagen från en korp som sträcker upp vingarna.

Tom

Too cool for School, Tom!

Must be that cold arctic wind...lol

Ha ha thanks alot Bud!!!

Starting to get warmer here now, my heart is defrosting ha ha

Tom

I think you're on to something really special, Tom! Very nice job. :specool:

Crystal

Hi Tom,

I think this is looking really nice!!! It all goes together so well, and the colors look great together. Cant wait to see the final piece.

I thought the heart was stone, very nice work

I think you're on to something really special, Tom! Very nice job. :specool:

Crystal

Thank you Crystal!!!

Hi Tom,

I think this is looking really nice!!! It all goes together so well, and the colors look great together. Cant wait to see the final piece.

Hi Clay!! Thanks alot!!

Like I said, work in progress and I may start over with the necklace itself if not happy.

I thought the heart was stone, very nice work

Thank you Kowboyboots!!

Funny you mention stone because inspiration to do the heart is those leatherstones that Anne Newkold posted in 2008 and the receiver of this necklace loves stones and she gave me a heart shaped stone a while back ago so glad to hear you reflection. I wanted it to have a stone feeling.

Tom

Looks fine, Tom - of course the heart is cool, but the overall shape of the necklace is very classy looking indeed. I'm picturing it hanging from a round cord with some silver ferrules and clasp.

Looks fine, Tom - of course the heart is cool, but the overall shape of the necklace is very classy looking indeed. I'm picturing it hanging from a round cord with some silver ferrules and clasp.

Thanks Ian!!

I think this was what ArtS asked initially but I just missed the issue, lol. I was tired yesterday.

This is just what I have in mind, I thought I'd bring it to a silversmith in my town that I know is interested in my work and see what she can do. An alternative would be to do somekind of wrapping with silvercord around the tapered ends and have them running up to a clasp.

Like I said, problemsolving as we go with this one and I'm not in a hurry with it.

Glad to see you all like it so far!!!

Tom

Hey Tom,

That thing is bad-ass! I really like your technique with the heart. To me it looks like a nicely polished piece of wood. The layers is a great idea! The overall shape and style of the necklace is cool too! I could see that being like an applique on a bag flap or something like that aside from hanging around a neck. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Cheers,

Andy

who knew tom had a romantic side??? lovely piece...great design

Very nice, how you going to fix it round neck?

Hey Tom,

That thing is bad-ass! I really like your technique with the heart. To me it looks like a nicely polished piece of wood. The layers is a great idea! The overall shape and style of the necklace is cool too! I could see that being like an applique on a bag flap or something like that aside from hanging around a neck. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Cheers,

Andy

Thank you Andy!!!

Yep, it looks more like wood until you pick it up, I get surprised everytime how light it is ;-)

As usual it is not my idea I just worked with a method similar to the "leather stone" method.

It takes a lot of sanding to get it into shape, .uckily enough it is not so big. I used a skiving knife in the beginning to cut away roughly.

who knew tom had a romantic side??? lovely piece...great design

:oops:

Very nice, how you going to fix it round neck?

Thank you SSM!!!

There is an answer to this question right before Andys post a bit up.

It is a development and solve problems as you go along project and I'll redo if this design doesn't work.

Tom

Tom,

Great looking necklace. I have to say I

thought of a hawk when I looked at the

middle photo. If you look long enough it

starts to look like one of them War Ships

in the Star Trek movies. I really like the

look of it. Great job.

WINDY

Thanks alot Windy!

Actually the design was pulled from a picture called ravenheart which I printed out and took the shape from. It is a raven streching it's wings up to form the shape of a heart.

Ravens are important to us but originally I had made just the heart and then I looked around for something to grab the shape from. A google image search for ravenheart gave fast result;-) :google0dw:

Tom

Tom...

That's really creative! The heart is awesome and the necklace is really cool. Well done!! How much time did it take to produce?

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Tom...

That's really creative! The heart is awesome and the necklace is really cool. Well done!! How much time did it take to produce?

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you Bree!!

Oh that is hard to tell. I glued the heart together and then I just sanded it a bit now and then when I was out smoking coffe and like that but it's not too many hours. I narrowed time down much by outlining the final heart shape on top of the heart and used the skiving knife to remove excess leather and then sand it to final shape. The necklace itself is no big deal to fabricate.

Tom

VERY CREATIVE........I BELEIVED YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR "NICH"

LOOKING FORWARD AS TO WHAT THE JEWLER COMES UP WITH

FOR A CLOSER.

"lets see 49 more" :thumbsup:

Edited by Luke Hatley

Thank you Bree!!

Oh that is hard to tell. I glued the heart together and then I just sanded it a bit now and then when I was out smoking coffe and like that but it's not too many hours. I narrowed time down much by outlining the final heart shape on top of the heart and used the skiving knife to remove excess leather and then sand it to final shape. The necklace itself is no big deal to fabricate.

Tom

Snyggt arbete, Tom! Är du o Tina syskon?????

Tom your piece is beautiful. I did a little photoshop action and forgive my novice abilities with a touch pad and pointer finger--lol If only I had a pen and a digital pad! Anyway, I picture your necklace with a silver wire wrap, then to swirl down and be hammered flat on the swirl but with texture. Then instead of a chain, two more flat hammered silver pieces to form the back of the necklace, then hooking on to a clasp. It would give it that flexibility but yet be somewhat form fitting and sexy too. Just my 2 cents. I love wire work and the elements all together would be gorgeous--just sorry I couldn't get the vision in my head onto the photograph. Personally I like the left side of the thing I did...more feminine.

necklace.jpg Hope this comes thru right.

Marie

post-9628-1237311973_thumb.jpg

VERY CREATIVE........I BELEIVED YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR "NICH"

LOOKING FORWARD AS TO WHAT THE JEWLER COMES UP WITH

FOR A CLOSER.

"lets see 49 more" :thumbsup:

Ah gotcha Luke but maybe time to give a go at the rodtubes again beacuse 47 left to go ha ha you know;-)

Snyggt arbete, Tom! Är du o Tina syskon?????

Tack Knut!!

Näe inte på riktigt men jag adopterade henne genom LW eller om hon adopterade mig..minns inte riktigt. Tina, minns du??

Tom your piece is beautiful. I did a little photoshop action and forgive my novice abilities with a touch pad and pointer finger--lol If only I had a pen and a digital pad! Anyway, I picture your necklace with a silver wire wrap, then to swirl down and be hammered flat on the swirl but with texture. Then instead of a chain, two more flat hammered silver pieces to form the back of the necklace, then hooking on to a clasp. It would give it that flexibility but yet be somewhat form fitting and sexy too. Just my 2 cents. I love wire work and the elements all together would be gorgeous--just sorry I couldn't get the vision in my head onto the photograph. Personally I like the left side of the thing I did...more feminine.

necklace.jpg Hope this comes thru right.

Marie

Oh wow Marie!!! Thank you so much!!! Yeah that looks marvelous and that is so very kind of you, many thanks!!!

As you might have read I have some ideas for a silver type thread/string solution and this just what I thought about but way more elegant out come. I will visit this sliversmith a mentioned and I'm gonna take your print with me.

Thank you so very much!!!

Tom

Tack Knut!!

Näe inte på riktigt men jag adopterade henne genom LW eller om hon adopterade mig..minns inte riktigt. Tina, minns du??

Kan inte minnas riktigt heller...Gissar att vi adopterade varandra *S*

Och Lil'bro...Ju mer jag ser av halsbandet ju mer störtgillar jag det...Korpvingar och allt:-)

//*Tina som håller som bäst på att plocka in offerter på flyttlass från US till Sverige och planerar flytt, Pheuw*

Kan inte minnas riktigt heller...Gissar att vi adopterade varandra *S*

Och Lil'bro...Ju mer jag ser av halsbandet ju mer störtgillar jag det...Korpvingar och allt:-)

//*Tina som håller som bäst på att plocka in offerter på flyttlass från US till Sverige och planerar flytt, Pheuw*

Japp, det blev väl bara så att vi adopterade varandra!!! Tror det var nå't med att du kom på 2:a plats och jag 3:e plats i samma kategori.

Jag ska tömma och sälja andrahuset nu. Jobbigt.

Tom