Tkleather1

cocobolo wood

I am interested in trying to make and edge slicker and have seen some discussion on this recently, My main question is where do you find these exotic hardwoods? and is cocobolo a descent choice for an edge slicker. if not let me know what would be a better choice and where do you find the wood?

Thanks for any info that can be shared.

Doesn't someone around this place sell cocobolo slicker?? Huh, think I've seen ads around here for both hardwoods (cocobolo) and deer antlers.

Living in Sweden and being financially disabled at the moment I've kinda ignored such temptations;-)

:sign23:

Tom

Doesn't someone around this place sell cocobolo slicker?? Huh, think I've seen ads around here for both hardwoods (cocobolo) and deer antlers.

Living in Sweden and being financially disabled at the moment I've kinda ignored such temptations;-)

:sign23:

Tom

I too am very disabled at the moment but trying to get things in order for when the sling comes off and can start again slowly

Oh physical handicaps is hard. I had to cure my arm in two weeks after tearing a hole in my underarm, JUST missed the main artery but still a drag to go around and wait for it to heal up in two weeks. I cheated and waited one week;-)

Tom

I am interested in trying to make and edge slicker and have seen some discussion on this recently, My main question is where do you find these exotic hardwoods? and is cocobolo a descent choice for an edge slicker. if not let me know what would be a better choice and where do you find the wood?

Thanks for any info that can be shared.

Hi,

I',m sure there's a million places that have excotic woods but, I have seen alot on Ebay, try making a search and see what shows up:-)

You generally have to look for hardwood supply stores. Your general lumber store won't have stuff like that. In Canada Windsor Plywood is the most common place I know of, but I don't know if they are in the States or not. Lee Valley carries some ( http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...cat=1,250,43217 ) but I don't know the size you want. If you do work with these woods, be careful and use a mask. The dust from a lot of these woods is pretty nasty, and I'm not just talking unpleasant. They can hurt you.

An alternative to cocobolo is stabilized wood, used by knifemakers. You can get a mirror finish on it. I have made a couple of slickers of stab. wood and I like them.

/ Knut

TK...do a search on the bay for "knife scales"

Oh physical handicaps is hard. I had to cure my arm in two weeks after tearing a hole in my underarm, JUST missed the main artery but still a drag to go around and wait for it to heal up in two weeks. I cheated and waited one week;-)

Tom

Yeah I got hurt at work and have had two somewhat major shoulder surgeries in 6 months. I get to take the sling off tommorrow and then the FUN physical therapy begins, I am told i probably wont be able to lift my arm above my head for 12 to 18 months.

An alternative to cocobolo is stabilized wood, used by knifemakers. You can get a mirror finish on it. I have made a couple of slickers of stab. wood and I like them.

/ Knut

What is this stabilized wood and any suggestions on where to locate some?

MacBeath hardwood is a company I have bought from and was happy with them. Most stores that specialize in woodworking tools and such should also have exotic woods to sell. A fine reference tool is Fine Woodworking Magazine.

Edited by Jordan

Hi Tk,

Here are some edge burnishers/slickers I've made, & still make from time to time. Yes Cocobolo, is a very good wood for that purpose. If interested, just get back with me. Ed

Good_Slicker_Group_22.jpg

post-7175-1237498974_thumb.jpg

Here you go,,, http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15051 I think he may have just what you want..

I got some cocobolo scraps from a cabinet maker... he specialized in really cool inlays and some very fancy work. He sold me a bucket of scraps for not much, and there were some pretty decent pieces in there.

And I agree with Jordan, MacBeath has good wood. I've bought from them too and been very satisfied.

grizzly industries did carry many of the exotic hardwoods. i have been to there store in Springfield, MO and they did at that time, and it was in their catalog when i used to get it. might try them.

Here ya go.....cut off what you need for your burnisher and send the rest to me....

http://cgi.ebay.com/COCOBOLO-Wood-Turning-...93%3A1|294%3A50

Yeah I got hurt at work and have had two somewhat major shoulder surgeries in 6 months. I get to take the sling off tommorrow and then the FUN physical therapy begins, I am told i probably wont be able to lift my arm above my head for 12 to 18 months.

What is this stabilized wood and any suggestions on where to locate some?

Stabilized wood is wood , or stained plywood, impregnated with some resin that makes the wood hard and stabile, like bakelite. Do a search on Google to find out more and where to buy it. Danny Marlin uses stab. wood in the handles of the round knives he makes.

Knut

You might also try Woodcraft.com they cater to woodcrafters and have a wide selection.

Some people think that all hard woods are alike. I'm of the opinion that there's got to be some visible difference in how the various woods slick. I haven't yet gotten around to using cocobolo yet. I've got the blanks, just not the time. It would be great if someone could do a quick comparison.

Ed

TK - the secret is very dense tight grain wood. Oak would be a bad idea while walnut would work. There are several domestic woods that can fit the bill, but cocobolo is way cool for sure. A birdseye maple would also be sweet. Just keep it dense.

Bearman - sweet! I like the antlers...

Brent

Brent, I agree, cocobolo is way cool....

IMG_0351.jpg