rickeyfro

Alternative To Black

Tried to come up with something for a customer requesting black without dying the whole seat black, used black shrunken shoulder, but dyed the tooled part with fiebing grey, and did my best to come up with something to compliment the gunmetal grey and rust/copper color scheme of the bike. Let me get some opinions.

grey.JPG

grey_2.JPG

post-5441-1238361469_thumb.jpg

post-5441-1238361487_thumb.jpg

Edited by rickeyfro

Tried to come up with something for a customer requesting black without dying the whole seat black, used black shrunken shoulder, but dyed the tooled part with fiebing grey, and did my best to come up with something to compliment the gunmetal grey and rust/copper color scheme of the bike. Let me get some opinions.

I dig it rickeyfro. It has a cool, well worn color that highlights your tooling. I really like it. Is it the pic or is it raised a little on top of the seat?

That's a great approach with black tooled leather, rickeyfro. Highlight the raised areas with a lighter, opaque color. I'm curious to know how you applied the gray. That has always been a challenge for me. Also, just for fun, try something metallic sometime!

Kate

Tiny, the tooled part is raised slightly, Ive got 1 inch neoprene on the seat and an additional 1/4 under the tooled leather, its not raised as much as the picture shows though, I just wanted to bring it up so you wouldnt notice it so much sitting on the lacing, Kate, I used an airbrush to spray tthe grey, then almost immediately used black antique paste and gave it a light wipe with a paper towel with some leather balm and atom wax to give the washed out effect.

grey_3.JPG

post-5441-1238383990_thumb.jpg

Edited by rickeyfro

That looks cool! I like it!

IT's awesome Rickey :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Love the skulls and the whole feel of it. The blueish tone of that grey makes it looks really really cool.

Nice lacing and the the added touch with a different leather on the outside.

Excellent!!!

How will you seal it?? I'm thinking the grey may be acrylic and watersoluble??

Tom

Thanks guys, Tom I used some leather balm and atom wax and I think it sealed it pretty good, Im not getting any ruboff with a moist cloth.

I don't like skulls, gray, or buckstitching - but I can appreciate the time and craftsmanship that went into this. I think it looks great and I would wager the customer was very happy.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

TF

Thanks Tal, but there no buckstitching on this one, double loop and mexican round. You know bikers and skulls, and Im not all that crazy about grey either but it sure beats black.

WOW!! :jawdropper: That is bloody smart! You may not like the grey but it was the right color for this seat. It makes the skulls look wicked. Great job!!!!

Panther