barra

Barra's excellent adventure

I have leave from work due, in fact I'm kinda being ordered to take time off. The grand plan is to either land in LA, San francisco or Denver (each has their pro's and con's) and eventually end up in Sheridan. I intend going back to my youth a bit and backpacking my way around as roughing it is half the fun. I'm not hugely into the run of the mill touristy stuff but I am a history buff. To me at this stage my idea of a perfect holiday would be completely chill out and smell the inside of a few saddle shops or horse poo.

Any one have any travel tips to get about on the cheap as the $Aus is akin to what comes out the North end of a South bound cow at the moment.

Barra.

(have swag/bedroll, will travel)

Barra,

I just checked and your dollar will be a whole lot closer to par up this side of the border, and if you are that close anyway... Calgary Stampede is early July if you are into rodeo stuff. Lots of good saddle shops, especially in southern Alberta. Some are members here. Stop in at Caledon Leather in Calgary and meet Ken and maybe Don. I'm sure you could spend a few hours there (pun intended :) ). Spring in Alberta is beautiful - green grass, blue skies, cattle and horses. Ignore the main route of Highway #2 (or the Queen E II as it has recently been renamed) and take #22, also called the Cowboy Trail. Good road. Starts not that far north of the border. View of the mountains all the way and right though cattle country. It runs close enough to Calgary you can duck off and visit there if you want or miss it if you want. And if you decide to go for a nice drive in the country, keep heading north. I know a tree shop that you could spend a couple days at and ask questions. It's only 7 hours north of Calgary by car. A bit longer if you take the bus...

And if you are headed to Rod and Denise's you have to drive RIGHT past my place. I'll even try to round up a jar of vegemite that might be hiding on a store shelf to make you feel at home. I'll let you drink root beer until you float.

If you end up in Denver, stop by here to see the yaks. There's plenty of beautiful scenery around here, and much bigger mountains than you have down there. We have some pretty cool wildlife, too. No, I don't mean ClayB, he's not Colorado wildlife.

Kathy

Mods,

When this topic runs it's course, I hope it gets 'pinned'. What I've read so far (just a few posts) is EXACTLY what part of this site is all about- fellowship. Here we have Barra, going walkabout, and he's been invited to stay with some members. No questions, no 'conditions', just friends.

Barra, if you plan this right, you might be able to spend all your time here jumping from spare bedroom to couch to spare bedroom, and never have to see a hotel!!! Just don't forget the camera, several memory chips, and LOTS of batteries.

( and shouldn't that read "have swivel knife, will travel"?)

Edited by TwinOaks

Barra, if you get to Montana, I live in the middle. Lewistown is the middle of the state. Our spare bedroom is actually bigger than the master bedroom. It happend to be right next to the saddle shop (garage). With the time difference you may need to have a day or two to get used to that and all my tools and equipment is out there and you are welcome to use any of it you want.

I guess I should also say you are welcome to stay here for a while if you want. Be here the right time and I have a very good excuse to go to Sheridan. You need a ride. I'm only about 4 hours from Sheridan.

When it get closer to time for you to travel let us know and I will send name and phone number.

Vaya con Dios, Amigo

Joe

Aspen is lovely in the summer - we have an extra room and if you want to camp outdoors that's pretty big around here. We live at 8000 ft. and the peaks go to 14 around here. Old mining town if you like that kind of history.

you know if you get as far as Ohio - there are two places with beds....

(mine and Johanna's)

and since we live in "farm country" Poo is a commen smell around here.

peace and fun