Sign in to follow this  
jbird

Shoulder holster ?

Howdy all

This a little advice thread if you would all you holster makers, I have a guy high end buyer that what's a shoulder holster of some sort for when he rides his horse, so first off what kind of design should I use any info on this is very helpfull, second how much should I charge for a custom holster like that, third what are the main concerns with a holster like this.

Thanks guys any help is very much needed and a big thanks before hand.

Josh

Edited by jbird

a few questions come to my mind on your questions.

1. what kind of handgun is the horse rider going to carry?

2. what area of the upper body does he want to draw the holster from?

for example does he want to draw it from under the arm or chest area(like the doc holiday shoulder holster)?

if he is going to carry a revolver then i would suggest the doc holiday shoulder holster.

you can get the pattern for this style from hidecrafters on line.

i would insure that the handgun does have a retention strap to keep it from bouncing out while riding. also the retention strap needs to be easy to undo with the drawing hand.

It's not a revolver but he may want a revolver on as well not sure on the model of the gun yet single action of some sort. And draw from the chest are.

Josh

In reading Bianchi's book most horseback riders holsters in the olden days were worn crossdraw on a cartridge belt. Stolhmans book on holstermaking has a pattern for the parts to a shoulder rig, I think the photo is of Jack Webb from the TV show Dragnet "Up against the wall you hippie" LOL. From what I gather shoulder rigs are a very difficult item to fit properly and most comments I have heard and read from users has not been real positive. Good luck with the project I am sure you will do a fine rendition. A retention method of some kind makes alot of sense as I remember my one and only horseback experience was one of being bounced all over he#@ and back. I'll take a motorbike over a horse everytime.

Thanks Jordan

But can't agree about the horse thing for me it's heaven on earth.

Love the bikes as well but horses for me.

Josh

When I think shoulder holster my concern is comfort and adjustability. That will depend on the span of the horizontal back piece, width of the shoulder straps and the position of the holster as it sits/stability.

Sizing the rig is the challenge. You can have a basic pattern but you can't build the same rig for the 6'5" 220lb guy as you do for the 5'7" 175lb guy. It's like fitting jacket sizes. And after suit shopping with my husband, jackets are tricky! :crazy:

I've yet to completely finish my prototype shoulder rig so I've got no other input than what I've discovered tus far.

Good luck!

Josh,I have been fortunate enough to have a few high-end customers as well.One is an avid hunter and likes horseback at times, when he is not in Africa or somewhere.I have made several shoulder holsters for him and his wife, and have three more on order.For the most part he likes large big bore pistols, so like Shorts said, comfort and adjustability are high on the list.With larger pistols, I usually widen the top straps and run the holster more vertcal. On smaller guns like a Glock say I may run the holster horizontal or at a 45 degree cant.All my high end stuff is fully lined, and usually has an exotic inlay.If it is not a vertical holster I would definately reccommend a strap or thumbbreak of somesort.My two main customers prefer no straps.As far as pricing I charge per order since everthing is one-off, but typically runs from $150 for a relatively plain shoulder holster, to $300-$500 for a full blown custom with inlays,and lacing.And with these guys even the full blown customs get used heavily.Hope this helps bud.Dave

here is one I did for a customer's wife for her Ruger MarkII

philsholster1.jpg

K-man thanks a lot I will get with you.

Josh.

Dave that is very very helpfull thank Sir

Josh

I am fond of the old tanker style holster when I ride. I have seen a few holsters mounted to the saddle itself.

I'm with you Josh! Give me the horse.

Art

Good looking rig Dave.

Art

First let me say I'm with Josh and ArtS on the horse thing.

Second, I have a suggestion for the holster, look at the old military shoulder holsters for the 1911's. Obviously the holster itself should be made for the gun but the pattern works very well for horseback riding (in my personal experience and opinion) is one of the few styles that can be adjusted for a wide range of wearers. They are very simple but have a lot of adjustment and retention options.

Here is a link to several pictures of an example of what I'm speaking of, as you can see it also offers several wear options.

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/cP...1e5c5094b44f4ce

Hope this helps

David

Boy you are all great thanks a bunch, and horse any day over somthing that burns gas for me, take care all be safe.

Josh

I have been following the forum for sometime but this is my first post. I hope this is right, computers are not my biggest ally.

I have been making the military chest holster for sometime to fit revolvers, scoped weapons and semi autos. It is a great holster for the true out doors man. The weapon can be carried in numerous positions to fit the need of that day. Great for riding on a horse, ATV or in a vehicle. Can be moved to accommodate a slung rifle, or backpack with out interfering. I spend a lot to time in the wilderness horse back and this is the only way I will pack a handgun anymore.

holster_07a__Small_.png

post-7445-1238510967_thumb.png

Edited by Treed

thanks a lot treed

So help me out here were are these straps going in the back Of the shirt, got any pics of the back.

Thanks Josh

Good timing on this thread Josh, it answers some questions I'm gonna have in the very near future. I've got a holster in the making for a customer, and he told me he also will want a shoulder rig for a new gun he's getting. Thanks to all who've responded to this one.

Oh, and I'll also support "horse" over "scooter". They get a lot better mileage, have better traction, are more stable on slippery surfaces, and I've never seen a motorcylce happy to see me.

Edited by TwinOaks

this pic is my version of the doc holiday rig.

the basic pattern was purchased from hidecrafter.

i changed the holster pattern to fit what i wanted to do.

the holster is setup for a left handed person. the strap above the hammer of the gun

goes over the left shoulder. the strap by the trigger goes around the mid section of the body

and attaches to the back of the holster.

the shoulder strap attaches to the waist strap and slides so that you can adjust for comfort.

new_holster.jpg

post-7657-1238552986_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatherjunkie

Jbird- if you click on my link and look at the smaller pictures (you can click on them to make them bigger) there are a couple of pics of the back of the holster to show how the straps attach.

David

DSCF1596__Medium_.JPG DSCF1595a__Medium_.JPG

I'll try to describe the straps and parts. I went this holster over the doc holiday style (have both) because the tanker holster has more room for adjustments and positions for carrying the gun. I used one while in a USMCR tank unit for 12 years.

The best way to carry is with the main strap AB over the head and across the chest. This distributes the weight better and keeps the holster in position. The main strap I use a 60" strap running from the top D ring (A) to the D ring at the mid-back of the holster ( B) .

The second strap CD runs around the waist or chest depending on the position of the weapon. This strap makes a loop around the AB or main strap in the back at C position. This strap is then connected with a snap to the D ring at the top of the holster.

The second picture shows the position of the D rings and the straps the attach them to the holster. There are two way to form the holster pocket. Cutting the leather so that it folds over as in most normal holsters or Cutting two pieces as in this holster and sewing them together. The two piece method works the best for scoped weapons, flashlight attachments etc.

post-7445-1238595200_thumb.jpg

post-7445-1238595343_thumb.jpg

Edited by Treed

Mike

Good luck with your indevier bad spelling hope it goes well

Josh

Good timing on this thread Josh, it answers some questions I'm gonna have in the very near future. I've got a holster in the making for a customer, and he told me he also will want a shoulder rig for a new gun he's getting. Thanks to all who've responded to this one.

Oh, and I'll also support "horse" over "scooter". They get a lot better mileage, have better traction, are more stable on slippery surfaces, and I've never seen a motorcylce happy to see me.

Thanks for the input and pics.

Josh

this pic is my version of the doc holiday rig.

the basic pattern was purchased from hidecrafter.

i changed the holster pattern to fit what i wanted to do.

the holster is setup for a left handed person. the strap above the hammer of the gun

goes over the left shoulder. the strap by the trigger goes around the mid section of the body

and attaches to the back of the holster.

the shoulder strap attaches to the waist strap and slides so that you can adjust for comfort.

Thanks I was just missing that.

Thanks josh

Jbird- if you click on my link and look at the smaller pictures (you can click on them to make them bigger) there are a couple of pics of the back of the holster to show how the straps attach.

David

Wow that's great info thanks a lot.

Josh

PS email sent

DSCF1596__Medium_.JPG DSCF1595a__Medium_.JPG

I'll try to describe the straps and parts. I went this holster over the doc holiday style (have both) because the tanker holster has more room for adjustments and positions for carrying the gun. I used one while in a USMCR tank unit for 12 years.

The best way to carry is with the main strap AB over the head and across the chest. This distributes the weight better and keeps the holster in position. The main strap I use a 60" strap running from the top D ring (A) to the D ring at the mid-back of the holster ( B) .

The second strap CD runs around the waist or chest depending on the position of the weapon. This strap makes a loop around the AB or main strap in the back at C position. This strap is then connected with a snap to the D ring at the top of the holster.

The second picture shows the position of the D rings and the straps the attach them to the holster. There are two way to form the holster pocket. Cutting the leather so that it folds over as in most normal holsters or Cutting two pieces as in this holster and sewing them together. The two piece method works the best for scoped weapons, flashlight attachments etc.