Tstarsmith

Howdy! for the eastern shore of Maryland

I just heard about this place from a new friend named Otter down in Asheville, NC so I thought I'd check it out. I'm pretty excited by what I've seen so far and look forward to learning and helping others learn. Out here I don't get many opportunities to chat with and bounce ideas off other leather craftsmen. I'll have to post of few pics of some recent projects. I've already been checking out some posted here and have seen some exciting work. I run a small leather and saddle shop here on the eastern shore. For those interested a have a website @ www.tstarleather.com

Thanks for providing this resource.

Here is a portmanteau I recently finished. I used @1880's style floral and hand stitched the entire piece. It is 24" by a 10"x13" oval.

leather_pics_014.jpg

post-10047-1238702984_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tstarsmith

Welcome. Very nice work.

Butch

I just heard about this place from a new friend named Otter down in Asheville, NC so I thought I'd check it out. I'm pretty excited by what I've seen so far and look forward to learning and helping others learn. Out here I don't get many opportunities to chat with and bounce ideas off other leather craftsmen. I'll have to post of few pics of some recent projects. I've already been checking out some posted here and have seen some exciting work. I run a small leather and saddle shop here on the eastern shore. For those interested a have a website @ www.tstarleather.com

Thanks for providing this resource.

Here is a portmanteau I recently finished. I used @1880's style floral and hand stitched the entire piece. It is 24" by a 10"x13" oval.

Welcome to the forum. That is beautiful. It is also the exact color I've been trying to achieve but with no luck. How did you get to that point. Would love to know.

Tom

Welcome to the forum. That is beautiful. It is also the exact color I've been trying to achieve but with no luck. How did you get to that point. Would love to know.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks. I can only take partial credit for that color. It is Wickett and Craig English Bridle leather in tan with a topcoat of pure neatsfoot oil and a coat of Feibings Tan Cote. Along those lines, I achieved much the same color using a heavy coat of extra virgin olive oil on regular tooling leather. Some saddle makers like it over neatsfoot oil. I like Tan Cote for much of my work for the mellow gloss it gives a new project but you can still oil and condition through it. Hope this helps.

That is fantastic! Welcome aboard too. I hade to look up what a portmanteau was, just never heard the word before... now I know. They say you learn something new everyday and that was mine for today!

Cheers,

Andy

Howdy from a fellow Marylander, very nice work ! you will enjoy the place

All the best Bo

Welcome to the board .. Nice Picture

Hello and welcome to the board!!!

That thing is amazing, I want one too;-)

Looking forward to what more you can come up with!!

Tom

Hi!

Your portmanteau is very beautiful! Do you have any more photos of it? I'd be interested in seeing the entire thing, including the inside.

Thanks for sharing.

Hilly