Sign in to follow this  
Tina

To make fancy text in an easy way...

I often get the question, "How do you make the swirly text?" well...I made this little tutorial and I hope it's going to help someone, this way you can go as crazy as you like:-)

1. I make a text in a Desktop Publishing Program (but it can be made in a number of different programs) I make sure that when I print it out it will be in a size of my choise, I also make it greyish, this makes it easier in step two.

2. Using a pencil, now the fun part starts, I go as crazy (or not) as I want to, trying out different layouts. When I think it is fine I use a 'ultra fine' Sharpie pen, done:-)

3. Here I just filled in the parts (and tock away the few parts I did not want) so that you can see the finished text.

NameEasy.jpg

post-5624-1238789012_thumb.jpg

2. Using a pencil, now the fun part starts, I go as crazy (or not) as I want to, trying out different layouts. When I think it is fine I use a 'ultra fine' Sharpie pen, done:-)

Thanks, Tina! Of course, the problem is that when I 'go crazy' it doesn't end up looking quite so elegant! But, in time, I'll get the hang of it :)

Thanks for the tip Tina. It almost seems easy now that I know how it should be done. The hard part will be, as Schno points out, dreaming up swoops and swirls that actually look good.

Dan

Very nice simple explanation....unfortunately, what you find simple gives the rest of us a headache...if only i had your talent...but i will give it a go....thanks

Tina,

Thanks for explaining it in such a simple way that even I can understand it.

I just had one of those " Well Duh" moments looking at the picture

Thanks!

You're all Welcome:-)

I just hope this will help someone and that we will get more pictures posted here *LOL*

Tina, just to add to your post. Most programs, including Publisher (use the Word Art function) will let you do your font with an outline only. It makes it a lot easier to trace.

Very nice! You have a natural talent there, I think.

Very nice looks sort of Von-Dutch style.

Very nice looks sort of Von-Dutch style.

Thanks guys, I'm just glad it could help:-)

Von-Dutch style, help me out here, what is that???

Thank you, Tina! This is why I admire what you do, you think outside the box and turn something simple into something beautiful. Thanks for sharing this!

Crystal

Von Dutch a guy who was very involved in auto and motorcycle artwork like pin stripping and such. 50's-60's era I think. Very famous in Hot Rod circles.

Thanks for the little tutorial, Tina. I've always admired and been inspired by your work. You are truly talented!

Hilly

Von Dutch, all the info here is on the mark. He was probably most famous for his unique style of pin striping. A style that has now become an industry standard, thus no longer unique.

Very nice tutorial, your work continues to amaze and inspire.

Thanks

David Theobald

Hi Tina,

Thanks for doing this little demo. I'm stuck somewhere between Casey and Leatheroo. I can see what you did, you make it look easy and I should be able to do that, but it's probably going to give me a headache if I try it. Good thing I know someone that can do it for me if I get stuck :thumbsup:

This is it.

Ahhh, it somewhat make sense:-)

Thanks for the little tutorial, Tina. I've always admired and been inspired by your work. You are truly talented!

Hilly

Thanks Hilly, I just wish I had more patience doing more tutorials...

Von Dutch, all the info here is on the mark. He was probably most famous for his unique style of pin striping. A style that has now become an industry standard, thus no longer unique.

Very nice tutorial, your work continues to amaze and inspire.

Thanks

David Theobald

My guess here...If one is in to that type of bikes, one would know? I use to have my own bikes before kids, big ones but the street racing kind...No stripes on them *LOL*

Hi Tina,

Thanks for doing this little demo. I'm stuck somewhere between Casey and Leatheroo. I can see what you did, you make it look easy and I should be able to do that, but it's probably going to give me a headache if I try it. Good thing I know someone that can do it for me if I get stuck :thumbsup:

Your more than welcome and...Always Clay if you get stuck :-)