rsg3

New stitching horse

Here is a picture of a stitching horse my buddy made for me using the plans from "Farm Woodwork." He said that if anyone is interested he would make some to sell after he makes some changes to the plans.sh1.JPG

post-4141-1204858366_thumb.jpg

that is a fine looking stiching horse. the only negitive comment

i will make is..............on mine i used a 2'' wide nylon strap rather than leather.

think about it.

nylon may be a better idea, i may check into it in the future if the leather gives up. thanks

P2280022.JPG

nylon may be a better idea, i may check into it in the future if the leather gives up. thanks

this is the stiching hores that i made about 20 yrs ago.

post-1906-1204903499_thumb.jpg

I hope mine holds up for 20 years. What is your seat made out of? It looks like spray foam from here. My buddy said if he makes any more he wants to make some improvements to the legs, as far as the nylon is concerned he would have to make wider slots probably, the ones on mine are only an inch wide once that leather wears out i will probably widen the slots like yours and use nylon. thanks for the the idea

I hope mine holds up for 20 years. What is your seat made out of? It looks like spray foam from here. My buddy said if he makes any more he wants to make some improvements to the legs, as far as the nylon is concerned he would have to make wider slots probably, the ones on mine are only an inch wide once that leather wears out i will probably widen the slots like yours and use nylon. thanks for the the idea

RSQ3.... The seat is covered with a pc of sheepskin, just a little padding.

and the History of the wood. The wood came from a very old house that

was being torn down to make way for modern improvments here in Memphis,

At that time the house was 125 yeard old. a friend of mine bought the house for

the wood in it. The wood is Cypress and is" 5 quarters thick" and the the

width of the board i got was 18" .....

the jaws or clamp was a 4x4 pc of red oak he gave me..

Rsg3. I really like the simple yet effective bracket you have used for the pedal mechanism.

How have you, Luke and any one else for that matter formed the bend in the timber for the jaws. I being the worst carpenter God ever shovelled guts into have tried numerous methods with varying degrees of success.

Barra

Rsg3. I really like the simple yet effective bracket you have used for the pedal mechanism.

How have you, Luke and any one else for that matter formed the bend in the timber for the jaws. I being the worst carpenter God ever shovelled guts into have tried numerous methods with varying degrees of success.

Barra

Barra. it was cut with a Band saw that had a 1/2" blade.

the wider the blade the more uniform the cut will be.

Luke that is pretty interesting that your stitching horse has a history like that, it definitely looks like it was built to last. I probably need to add some padding to my seat, you' re just giving me all sorts of ideas.

Barra, draw the outline of your clamp on your board and use a bandsaw to cut it out, cut as close to the line as you dare and then just sand it from there. that is the way my buddy did this one, you could leave some of the saw marks in to give some character or give that made on the farm look.

Is your buddy still willing to make another one of these? If so, how much does he want for one?

hey my email is russellg74@yahoo.com, email me and i will call my buddy and find out if he is still willing.

email sent. Thanks!

hey my email is russellg74@yahoo.com, email me and i will call my buddy and find out if he is still willing.

I would be interested in plans or a complete stiching horse

I would be interested in plans or a complete stiching horse

:google0dw: google "farm woodwork" and there's a google book that has plans for one. page 98 I think.

Has anyone had any experience with Weaver's stitching horse that sells for $155?

How well would the rear end of one of these stitching horses function as a seat for machine stitching? I'd like to use the rear end for machine stitching and be able to take my leather straight from the machine, turn around on the stitching horse and finish stitches off by hand as needed.

Ed

I like your stitching horse. It would be better with the padding and a nylon strap, but it should last a long time just as it is.

I like your stitching horse. It would be better with the padding and a nylon strap, but it should last a long time just as it is.

If someone can get me plans I can build these in my shop. No problem!

Farm Woodworking can be found there.

I couldn't seem to get the pdf to work, but the flip version works fine and includes all images. Pages 99-104 show plans and instructions for a stitching horse.

Interesting book! I have a few old ones like this that were in my fathers family....might be about time to dig them out again and browse through them.

I used one of these during the saddlery class and it worked very well too. Put it between your legs while on a stool and rested against a bench.

clams_2.jpg

clams_1.jpg

Hi, the stitching horse looks great - do you have some form of "step-by step" plans on how to build one yourself? All the best, Jonas W. Moe (Norway)

Hi, the stitching horse looks great - do you have some form of "step-by step" plans on how to build one yourself? All the best, Jonas W. Moe (Norway)

We sell step by step plans for building a stitching pony on our website. http://www.uBuilderPlans.com. It is not quite the same as the one pictured but still easy to make and works really well.

I share my work space with my S/O, one of us is left handed and the other right handed, anyone thought about how to adapt the plans to be reversable for left hand or right hand operation?