I have read in a few different places of people using extra virgin olive oil. What is the purpose of this? is there an advantage over neatsfoot? I am to chicken sh!T to try it as I am affraid I will ruin something. if anyone can explain the difference I would see i would sure like some explanations.

Thanks

Tim

I have read in a few different places of people using extra virgin olive oil. What is the purpose of this? is there an advantage over neatsfoot? I am to chicken sh!T to try it as I am affraid I will ruin something. if anyone can explain the difference I would see i would sure like some explanations.

Thanks

Tim

I personally use nothing but neatsfoot (100%) as I keep my gear in a tack room in the barn and find that any kind of edible oil invites mice to chew the leather. I also can't really see a cost savings with olive oil as it is just as expensive as neatsfoot where I live.

I have used both. What I found is that Olive Oil (IMO) makes every leather piece I have done it on is softer and more pilable. You have to let it sit for a day or so to let it even out. With neatsfoot oil, I have not been too happy with lately, but I really think it is the crappy leather I get at Tandy personally. I can definately see a different in the feel for me. I have heard that Ricin (sp) is definately a problem with olive oil, but I am still here even though it will kill? I recently read something where Bill Gromer talked about using olive oil and he applies it on both side of the tooled leather. Extra Virgin, of course.

Good luck.

Both oils condition leather well. Vegetable oils like canola and corn oils also condition leather well. The real issue is your personal preference regarding the end result. Virtually all olive oil is pure without any additives; virgin being the first pressing of the olives. Neatsfoot oil ingredients vary by manufacturer and different rendering methods. It is difficult to find a pure clear neatsfoot oil. Most have waxes and tallows either added or left over in the refining process. These are evident in the film left on the surface of the leather and must be away.

Most vegetable based oils will attract insects and rodents, including neatsfoot oil. Olive oil seems to be undesirable to them.

Many neatsfoot oils will turn rancid with age and especially in hot environments. Olive oil does not.

Color is different with different oils. As the leather ages, the color differences become more evident.

Olive oil has better wicking characteristics than neatsfoot oil. Neatsfoot tends to pool easilly and does not wick thoroughly. Olive oil wicks exceptionally well through all of the leather fibers, without pooling or blotching. This also allows one to apply less oil while getting a thorough conditioning and maintaining a lighter color.

Olive oil is much more expensive than neatsfoot oil. It is available at any grocery store and big box stores like Costco. The only neatsfoot oil that I have found that is equal in quality to olive oil is from Texas Refining.

With over 30 years of saddlemaking experience, and extensive testing of conditioning products, I use only Olive oil or Texas refinery #1 neatsfoot oil on my saddles.

Keith

For what it's worth, Keith is right on! I'm not a big fan of neatsfoot, but then I don't think I've ever had any that was as good as what he gets. Olive oil is wonderful!

Kevin

Most vegetable based oils will attract insects and rodents, including neatsfoot oil. Olive oil seems to be undesirable to them

To keep critters away add a bit of Castor Oil - old time packers taught me that trick years - if even keeps porcupines away - they are more attracted by the salt than by the oil.

And I like EVOO too and in fact find that it's cheaper at least when buying retail.....

I am to chicken sh!T to try it as I am affraid I will ruin something.

Tim

Tim,

Just a little additional note.... olive oil is almost "idiot proof". It is almost impossible to ruin something with olive oil. If you are using any other oil, then you have the skills to use olive oil without fear. You will find it is very user friendly!

Keith

Well, you have inspired me to try some olive oil. I know I like it on a salad so maybe a saddle. What about color? is it less likely to darken leather? I kind of like the color to darken somewhat.

As far as ricin in olive oil, I had never heard that. If you are talking about ricin the poison; that comes from the castor bean plant so I wonder if you are thinking of it being in castor oil?

Nope, I was talking about Rancid, but I believe it was a Tandy manager in California that told me the Olive Oil would turn that way, but in reading the threads here, it appears that this would be wrong. So, correction for myself and other reading, the NFO has a possibility of turning Rancid and not OLO. Good to know. That is why I am still a member, much to learn!

Thanks.

I'm really big on using olive oil....I like the ease of application and the lighter finish I get. I still use NF, mostly because I have a lot left on hand, but I'm using olive oil more and more. I think Keith is spot on, with regard to the even and complete penetration. I think when I run out of NF, I might try some of the NF fromTexas Refining, just to have some NF on hand, but otherwise it's olive oil for me.

Bob

Extra Virgin has a stronger aroma than regular olive oil, as long as it says pure it should be ok. To my knowledge it does not go rancid and it is easy to apply. If you lay your piece out in the sun, the leather after application it will get darker kind of like giving it a tan. I use it on quite a few things, my feet smell like a Greek salad after wearing my sandals for awhile. LOL

WOW thanks for all of the input I will definetly have to try it now. I was affraid that it was harder to even out and what not but now I will give it a whirl.

Thanks to all

I have been using olive oil on leather for the past five years. Now with Keith and Bob both endorsing it, I will be more vocal about it to customers.

Many times I have talked to other leatherworkers and they seem to say, "Keep the olive oil for the salad. Neatsfoot is the only oil to use on leather." To each his own. I think a lot of people either tend to over oil or not use any.

That is why I am on here. Every day is an education.

Joe

i love this place! ok..so after you have a good giggle... what does the oil do? i have never used any oil, and when do you apply?...dye, dry, super sheen, then oil? and when do you add hi-lite? and is this for all leather projects or just saddles? i hope you didn't hurt yourself when you rolled onto the floor laughing ;) i know i should get books, but they are very expensive at tandy in toronto and no one in my area has the good taste to carry any leatherworking books or products at all. so you folks are my only hope in learning. :You_Rock_Emoticon: