Hello everyone,

Does anyone use a push beveler to bevel the stems on Sheridan style carving?

I would love for someone who uses one to tell me how it works. I see Berry King sells one.

Thanks, Doug

I dont have one but my feeling on this tool is that they are mainly for borders and such

Hey Doug!

It may just be a lack of talent on my part, but I have found that a push beveler is more for long, fairly straight swivel cut lines than the tight curves of most Sheridan style layouts. For those, you need a beveler to get around the curves.

Mike

Yea, I thought it was more for the streight lines, like borders too, but I remember reading a post somewhere someone was using it to speed up beveling the long stem lines on Sheridan style carving. It could of just been my imagination though.

Thanks for the replies.

Doug

I have and use push bevelers, and they work well for borders and such, but they do not work well for tooling the stems as they do not go deep enough ad are difficult to vary the depth of the bevel along a line.

Keit

I'll tell you a secret... Push bevelers do work... they're a bit of a pain in the butt... Tandy used to make a little plastic "bevel blade" that fit in a swivel knife. I'll bet I've beveled about 40 miles of lines with that dumb little thing. And for what it's worth, I think I've got close to 500 of them left. I bought tandy out when they closed their store chain. I think I must have had 10000 of them! They work great, and I think it's about the best 2 bucks you can spend!

Kevin@springfieldleather.com

Come on, Kevin. You are a salesman and better than most. However, we know that what you have the most of and need to move is what everyone needs. I'm guessing that you have had these little plastic things for a few years and now you need to get rid of them. We know your kind. I've heard you made your first million selling freezers to Eskimos.

Now the disclaimer. I have never talked to Kevin but love his ad in the LCSJ. Anyone that can put up with the dog and bird as well as the wife and kids he has has got to be a great guy. This post is ment to be funny and not to hurt anyone in any way. I firmly believe Kevin would only try to help us however he can. My thought is, if we can't have fun, why are we here.

Kevin, I sent you a PM about some leather.

Hey Joe!

I agree with you about Kevin's ads in LCSJ. I just think it's a sign of the times that you have to add the disclaimer. That was a funny post and it's too bad that you had to label it for the few who are sitting around waiting for something to be offended about.

I keep looking at Kevin's ads to see if he is running a special on dog hide... Now we'll hear from the dog lovers :head_hurts_kr:

Mike

I'll tell you a secret... Push bevelers do work... They work great, and I think it's about the best 2 bucks you can spend!

Kevin@springfieldleather.com

I have one of those and use it all the time for long lines and borders. True what Keith said, they do not go deep enough but are o.k. for a boarder on something that does not need a deep edge. I will use it to establish a line then if it needs more, go over it with a tooling bevel. They can also smooth out any marks left from a bevel.

:cheers:

Rick J.