When it comes to finding a new saddle for myself, I have NO CLUE what I want. There are so many terrific looking saddles out there....which brands would you guys recommend from experience??

I obviously want quality, something that's gonna last me a long time. But I want one that's good-looking and comfortable too... (typical girl :lol: )

Looking for a barrel saddle specifically....

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated before I head off to the saddle shops! Thanks!

Circle Y has some good things for barrel racing saddles, I'd say just go to some shops and find a saddle that you "sit in" not "sit on", you'll know the right one when you sit in it. For barrels I would say try one with a hip hugger seat, it really adds to a secure feel. Just my .02

I obviously want quality, something that's gonna last me a long time. But I want one that's good-looking and comfortable too... (typical girl :lol: )

Sounds like you want a custom made saddle to me. You'll pay more but you will get what you want.

Geo metro :dunno: Mercedes?

My.02

Yeah I really love a few saddles that i've seen from billy cook and circle y, It's just really hard to make a decision... I would love to have a saddle custom made, just don't have the $$$.

Casey- I just got rid of my "geo metro" saddle.... Actually, I don't even think it was that good. Maybe more like a "ford pinto" :P

I haven't seen anything from Billy Cook lately that turned my head, the ones I've seen look pretty cheap, It's probably good quality, they just look like a cheap mexican saddle. No fancy tooling the seats are not stitched with a nice design. Just not impressed with what turn out these days. JMHO

When it comes to finding a new saddle for myself, I have NO CLUE what I want. There are so many terrific looking saddles out there....which brands would you guys recommend from experience??

Looking for a barrel saddle specifically....

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated before I head off to the saddle shops! Thanks!

contac Steve Tucker at Circle Y . tell him i sent you to him.

He will talk to you about a Circle Y or a Tucker Trail Saddle.

I haven't seen anything from Billy Cook lately that turned my head, the ones I've seen look pretty cheap, It's probably good quality, they just look like a cheap mexican saddle. No fancy tooling the seats are not stitched with a nice design. Just not impressed with what turn out these days. JMHO

I have to agree, the new saddles that they are turning out aren't what they should be, but I still love some of the old ones. It's a good thing too, because I can only really afford a good used saddle right now...don't really feel like paying top dollar for some of the quality im seeing in new saddles these days....

contac Steve Tucker at Circle Y . tell him i sent you to him.

He will talk to you about a Circle Y or a Tucker Trail Saddle.

Thanks so much! :)

It seems like every January there are about 5 new barrel saddle models on the market. I figure they've got them ready to roll out, and the top five finishers at the NFR in December get an endorsement contract and the saddles have a name by the time of the Denver Market. If you are looking for used, a lot of my barrel racing customers like the old Connie Combs from Circle Y. I've rebuilt several and retreed a few. Hadlock and Fox made the trees for them, and while they were still in New Braunfels made me the duplicates. Of course after a long wait and duplicate pricing they told me they are a production stock tree for them still, just not cataloged. Off the top of my head I think they are their #870 model.

Edit - got home and double checked. The Connie Combs tree is H&F's #890.

It seems like every January there are about 5 new barrel saddle models on the market. I figure they've got them ready to roll out, and the top five finishers at the NFR in December get an endorsement contract and the saddles have a name by the time of the Denver Market. If you are looking for used, a lot of my barrel racing customers like the old Connie Combs from Circle Y. I've rebuilt several and retreed a few. Hadlock and Fox made the trees for them, and while they were still in New Braunfels made me the duplicates. Of course after a long wait and duplicate pricing they told me they are a production stock tree for them still, just not cataloged. Off the top of my head I think they are their #870 model.

Thanks! I took a look at a 'Connie Combs by Circle Y' saddle on the internet just a minute ago...looks terrific! Hopefully I'll be able to locate something similar in my neck of the woods...

Last week I sold a "The Proven by Circle Y" for 645.00, it had lots of extra "bling", and aluminum competition stirrups, and was autographed by Martha Josey, and R.A Josey. It was a pretty saddle with the hip hugger seat. Thats how my luck is too, always find good deals when it's too late.

The last time I looked www.coolhorse.com had several used barrel saddles. If you do not see what you want call them and talk to Kyler.

RussH

Thanks! I took a look at a 'Connie Combs by Circle Y' saddle on the internet just a minute ago...looks terrific! Hopefully I'll be able to locate something similar in my neck of the woods...

I understand the price issue completly.

Used might be the way to go. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but Brighton Feed & Saddlery is going to have their big annual saddle sale in July. Might be worth checking out. Brighton Feed & Saddlery in near Denver, Colorado.

www.brightonsaddlery.com

Hope this helps

Yeah I really love a few saddles that i've seen from billy cook and circle y, It's just really hard to make a decision... I would love to have a saddle custom made, just don't have the $$$.

What is your budget? There may be some used handmade saddles available that would serve your needs.

Keith

I understand the price issue completly.

Used might be the way to go. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but Brighton Feed & Saddlery is going to have their big annual saddle sale in July. Might be worth checking out. Brighton Feed & Saddlery in near Denver, Colorado.

www.brightonsaddlery.com

Hope this helps

Well I'd love to check that out, but unfortunately...I'm about 1,200 miles away from Colorado.

Who knows...might make a good roadtrip :)

What is your budget? There may be some used handmade saddles available that would serve your needs.

Keith

I really want to stay below $800-$1000 if possible.... hopefully less! :)