Sign in to follow this  

My daughter wanted a wallet (OK, so it's really a small clutch purse), and I found an old Nanette kit among Monte's leftovers. It didn't have a back, but some tell me it may not have come with one. I had several folks help me figure it out in another thread, including some design suggestions.

Of course, my darling headstrong 10 year old had other ideas than all the pretty designs I showed her. She's an egyptian nut, so we cruzed the web the other day and found some designs she liked. Carving is done, finish will probably happen this weekend. Did I mention she's a nut? :P Right side is the eye of Ra, and her name cartouche; left side is a sphinx & pyramid, similar to Giza (no, not leon sphinx...)

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

By the way, tried some of the suggestions on casing and had, what I think, are superior results with the carving definition. I soaked it (used my pro carve solution) with a sponge, and then covered it with plastic (and a towel for weight) and let it sit for what ended up being two days. I carved it while it was still damp, but then covered it again as it was bed time. The next day I uncovered it and it still took an hour before it dried enough to tool. But I didn't get so much of the edge rolling and pushing when beveling like I usually do. In fact, none once it was properly dried (I kept trying to start too soon!).

New lesson learned. Gotta love it.

Brent

post-5266-1205452057_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1205452063_thumb.jpg

Edited by howardb

this is going to be sooo nice...your daughter has nice taste...i love the egyptian design..cant wait to see the finished purse.

Cool idea Brent, I can't remember seeing Egyptian stuff on leather before. I'm sure it's done but new to me.

Brent, Nicely done. The Egyptian designs look good on leather.

Way nice Brent...

Love the Egyptian theme on it and all...Cool way of "making your own design":-)

Looking good Howard!

Egyptian art is very nice and I'm gonna enjoy seeing it on leather.

I just wonder what kind of colouring you'll come with, just have to wait and see.

The eye of Ra is watching over you!

Tom

Brent,

You reminded me of a piece Bob Brown had done because someone gave him a few artifacts from Egypt. I have attached a picture below. Your daughter may like to see it. The face is done with real gold leaf. I think it is great when you can break free of the traditional mold.

David Genadek

egyptian.jpg

post-999-1205691671_thumb.jpg

My daughter wanted a wallet (OK, so it's really a small clutch purse), and I found an old Nanette kit among Monte's leftovers. It didn't have a back, but some tell me it may not have come with one. I had several folks help me figure it out in another thread, including some design suggestions.

Of course, my darling headstrong 10 year old had other ideas than all the pretty designs I showed her. She's an egyptian nut, so we cruzed the web the other day and found some designs she liked. Carving is done, finish will probably happen this weekend. Did I mention she's a nut? :P Right side is the eye of Ra, and her name cartouche; left side is a sphinx & pyramid, similar to Giza (no, not leon sphinx...)

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

By the way, tried some of the suggestions on casing and had, what I think, are superior results with the carving definition. I soaked it (used my pro carve solution) with a sponge, and then covered it with plastic (and a towel for weight) and let it sit for what ended up being two days. I carved it while it was still damp, but then covered it again as it was bed time. The next day I uncovered it and it still took an hour before it dried enough to tool. But I didn't get so much of the edge rolling and pushing when beveling like I usually do. In fact, none once it was properly dried (I kept trying to start too soon!).

New lesson learned. Gotta love it.

Brent

Very nice work! I love it when the designs are outside of the box! People ask me all the time, "what can you put in leather designs?" And I tell em it would be easier to list what ya CAN'T do!

Nice looking start howard. Can't wait to see how it is finished!

Done! I've got some dye smudges, but in general I think it came out neat-o. Daughter is WAY excited, but I won't let her have it until after the April show. Photos:

IMG_3657.JPG

IMG_3659.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3668.JPG

IMG_3671.JPG

post-5266-1206068061_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1206068068_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1206068076_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1206068084_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1206068097_thumb.jpg

Brent, that is bangin bro. Good job.

That turned out great. So clean looking and I like the designs.

Real nice looking ther Brent. I especially like the Egyptian theme, I love that kinda stuff.

Ken

this is really neat work...i am jealous of the fine way you have finished it...great design and colors