Is this the same as the Elmers glue we used as kids?

Edited by Hilly

Yep, pretty much.

Badger

Depends, there are many varieties of PVA from low strength to high strength.

I've tried regular Elmers and it has a much weaker bond than Fiebing's Tanners Bond.

ed

I used Unibond PVA for many years, and then found that Wickes' own brand worked just as well, for half the price!

Does anyone know of a PVA with a stronger bond than Fiebing's Tanners Bond has?

ed

I'd like to try Wickes building PVA, but it doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. Does anyone know if The Home Depot or Lowes carries something similar?

Ed

Did a bit of checking. It seems that it's quite easy to find this stuff, but terminology is a bit different. It seems that you just need to go to the adhesives isle and look for "latex" on the packaging contents. I really only need a small bit of very high-bond PVA for short 3" sections of gusset corners (especially where two panels merge on one gusset seam) where the leather often wants to pull away during stitching. Tanner's Bond is fine for everything else. I see a trip to The Home Depot in the near future. Plus, I still haven't gotten that much needed shop vac.

ed

Ed, I'm certainly interested in the results!

I do have a teensy recomendation for this.....portion into sealable containers early in the experiment. If this is similar to the stuff I used before (not on leather), it dries pretty quickly and you can get glue boogers inside the can that'll drop into the mix and make a mess when you try to spread it.

Ed, I'm certainly interested in the results!

I do have a teensy recomendation for this.....portion into sealable containers early in the experiment. If this is similar to the stuff I used before (not on leather), it dries pretty quickly and you can get glue boogers inside the can that'll drop into the mix and make a mess when you try to spread it.

I get those "boogers" even with Tanner's Bond. It's not too bad, but occasionally I have to pick them out. My big criterion is that it dries clear.

ed

Ed, that kind of adhesive usually dries to a yellow, try a pint tub first.

The label on one of them states that it dries clear, so I guess I'll get that one. Thanks.

Ed, that kind of adhesive usually dries to a yellow, try a pint tub first.

If CelticLeather is successfully using Wickes, which I believe is a builders PVA, we've got to have something similar at The Home Depot and Lowes.

ed

Ed

I had a look at the US Home Depot and Lowes websites, and I can't see an equivalent product . . . but I'm sure there must be one somewhere!

There seems to be a difference in definition in the US between PVA and latex. I think PVA may be called 'synthetic latex' on your side of the pond - but you're right - the Wickes product is builders' adhesive.

Terry

Terry,

Thanks for checking into this. I should be able to get to one of these stores in the next few days to try out this PVA.

Ed

Ed

I had a look at the US Home Depot and Lowes websites, and I can't see an equivalent product . . . but I'm sure there must be one somewhere!

There seems to be a difference in definition in the US between PVA and latex. I think PVA may be called 'synthetic latex' on your side of the pond - but you're right - the Wickes product is builders' adhesive.

Terry

further research turns up this:

"Be wary of over priced PVAs that claim to be for a specific use. There is very little difference from one PVA to the other, and nothing that should increase the cost."

ed

Ed,

Your link goes to the p/n 3300-1 but, the p/n 2057-1 says it dries clear. The 3300 does not say one way or the other. Both of these also come in quart size so we can try them out for less than 4 bucks each. I'll be in homedepot today and will pick them up (if in stock).

Regis

Isn't woodworker's glue the same kind of glue?

I was a bit quick in placing the link. The 2057 does seem the best bet.

Ed

Ed,

Your link goes to the p/n 3300-1 but, the p/n 2057-1 says it dries clear. The 3300 does not say one way or the other. Both of these also come in quart size so we can try them out for less than 4 bucks each. I'll be in homedepot today and will pick them up (if in stock).

Regis

Wood glue, if it dries clear and doesn't take too long to set, would work well and seems to be a little less expensive than Tanners Bond.

Another thing I noticed with the wood glue is that the set time is about an hour and the curing time 24 hours, about the same as with Tanners Bond. The 2057 has an open time of about 45 minutes, which may make it more similar to TB than are the other building glues.

ed

Isn't woodworker's glue the same kind of glue?
Edited by esantoro

Well Ed, I'm back from Home Depot. After reading all the labels and talking to 2 folks that had no clue about glue (except mabe sniffing) I came home with a different one all together. I bought the Roberts 7200 as it included rubber as one suitable surface it would hold. The 3300 says felt, cork, carpet, wood. The 2057 says specifically for carpet to plywood (and nothing else). I just glued 3 different kinds of leather together with the 7200 and will post results.

Regis

I spent the morning reading up these glues. I will try to get the 2057 in the next few days. The fact that it dries clear in my mind means that it bears similarity to tanners bond. I'm off to a few local hardware stores right now n the vicinity of some errands I must run.

When I use TB, I glue and stitch 30 minutes or longer after clamping, so whatever alternative we come up with has to allow for the same. Plus it has to dry clear.

Terry: Is the Wickes you're using white or beige or tan and does it dry clear? How long must you let the leather sit before stitching? I'm now off to see if I can read up more on Wickes to see if I can find further clues.

ed

Well Ed, I'm back from Home Depot. After reading all the labels and talking to 2 folks that had no clue about glue (except mabe sniffing) I came home with a different one all together. I bought the Roberts 7200 as it included rubber as one suitable surface it would hold. The 3300 says felt, cork, carpet, wood. The 2057 says specifically for carpet to plywood (and nothing else). I just glued 3 different kinds of leather together with the 7200 and will post results.

Regis

more info:

Bostik may be the company we are looking for:

http://www.bostik.com.au/browse.php?cat=Wa...sed%20Adhesives

They have U.S. offices and distribution, as well as offices and distribution around the world. The data sheets on their various glues seem to zero in on what we are looking for.

Ed

I can tell you that the Roberts 7200 is not good. Long time to dry and then not good hold on any of the leathers I tried (veg, garmet, or chap). Plus it dries tan/yellow.

Regis

I can tell you that the Roberts 7200 is not good. Long time to dry and then not good hold on any of the leathers I tried (veg, garmet, or chap). Plus it dries tan/yellow.

Regis

Thanks, Regis. I'll do the 2507. With all the PVA adhesives out there, tanners bond cannot be the only one for leather that dries fast and clear.

Attached is the data sheet for TB

ed

Leathercraft_20Adhesive_20_28former_20Tanners_20Bond_29.pdf

Leathercraft_20Adhesive_20_28former_20Tanners_20Bond_29.pdf