Sign in to follow this  
jeeperaz

Singer 31-15 question about a part

I posted this on a sewing machine specific site a few days ago but it must pass through a moderator first and they have yet to 'approve' it... so I'll try here.

Please have a look at the attached image. This is the 'bobbin case plate' from my Singer 31-15. It is bent and I need to know if that is the way it's supposed to be or should it be flat. Hope the pics are self-explanatory.

Thanks!

bobbin_case_plate.jpg

post-7134-1245526369_thumb.jpg

was the machine sewing before you took the plate out?

sewing good or bad ? post photos of the stiches........

was the machine sewing before you took the plate out?

sewing good or bad ? post photos of the stiches........

From a few days ago...

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17242

I cannot get the machine to work. The needle thread is getting stuck in the shuttle/bobbin area.

I am by no means an expert or anywhere close. Looking at my machine from the underneath at the bobbin case, the retainer ring appears to be flat to me. The open space in the ring is where the little arm on your bobbin case fits into when you put bobbin in. It looks to me as a stitch is being made, the top thread comes down with the needle and goes around the bobbin case. As it starts up the other side of the case, when it gets to the top, it slides through the slot in the ring up over the little arm to complete the stitch as it locks with the bobbin thread.

I also had trouble at one time with the thread being caught in the feed dogs. It would sew about 4 to 6 stitches and then lock up. It had sewn just fine until I changed the bobbin. It seems to have been that when I put the bobbin back in, I didn't have the thread going the correct way. If you are looking at the back side of the bobbin in the case, the thread comes off the bobbin in a clockwise direction. This is the end that you put in the machine. Good Luck.....Kirk

Yes,it should be level & maybe they were pried together?? it looks alittle to narrow.

The best way to check it is put it back together,thread the machine w/bobbincase in it & hold on to the needle thread ,roll machine over & with the head tilted back you can see if it catches as the thread passes through.Loose top ten will also cause this & to large of thread sp what size are you using

Bob

to large of thread sp what size are you using

Bob

Thread is 69. I'll have a look at it in a bit and see if I can get a short video of the issue. (edit: That is after I successfully and gently hammer that plate flat.)

Edited by jeeperaz