Here is a checkbook cover I finished tooling & coloring. It's My adaptation/ interpretation, of one of his billfold designs. I tried to stay as true to the original design, while making it work as a checkbook cover. I followed a picture of the original, as a guide to the coloring. The original has somewhat muted colors,,, or maybe it's just the picture I have. Anyway, I colored mine, as I thought He may have originally. Please let me know what You think. This is my first project, after trying to kill myself, by rebuilding my shop, so that I stand at least half a chance of my air conditioner, keeping it cool enough to work in there.

Take Care,,, & Thanks for looking,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Moms__Checkbook_colored5.jpg

Moms__Checkbook_colored4.jpg

post-7175-1245539602_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1245539620_thumb.jpg

Mutual admiration for sure:-)

I love the way your tooling comes out in every piece you make, I wish I could do this more traditional tooling but, it never works out right...This is Beautiful work:-)

Ed,

That's really nice stuff. I've been wanting to do some coloring like this....now I know who's work I'll use for reference! Nice job Ed, it's top notch work!

Bob

I really like these guys, great work.

That top red centered flower with the green leaves is really cool looking.

Thanks Tina, Bob , & Max,,, I know this may open a Big Can of worms,,,, But, when I ran accross this Al Stohlmans original Billfold design, I just had to tool it, to see how it would look in person, & not just from a picture. The reason I say that is,,, the design is really crude, it that, it really had very little flow to it. Especially in the center where the 4 stems run into the main stem. What's up with that??? I firmly believe that Al Stohlman did more for the leathercraft, than any other one person. But,,, some of his floral & western designs,,,, Hmmmm how should I say this,,, to me could use some work. Now,,, his picture scenes,,, that's another story,,,, Those are Great!! Am I the first person to ever say this out loud?? I'm interested to see how everybody else feels. Please don't get me wrong,,,, I'm not trying to compare myself to him,,,, or trying to say that I'm better in any way. It's just something I've noticed.

Ed

the design is really crude, it that, it really had very little flow to it. Especially in the center where the 4 stems run into the main stem. What's up with that???

I think those "flaws" is necesarry for a more natural nature flow. I do this all the time in my own drawings, not even thinking at the time how to solve the tooling part of it (I'm just doing jungle stuff that kreeps me out)...Just that it looks good then, later of course I have to solve the rest with loads of :ranting2: from time to time and thinking...Not agin but, next time I'm there agin :head_hurts_kr: ..Cuz it feeeels good :banana:

Edited by Tina

I love your work, Ed! Beautiful work on the carving and the coloring.

Kate