Here's a new one from Peter Main...

...here is a belt recently completed. It is filigreed, backed with a pebble-grain black kangaroo....the lacing is also kangaroo, dyed black. The 'finger-cuts' on the reverse are shaded with tan to make them look more interesting. This belt also has a thick filler, to give it a 'rounded' look. Note that the belt is not filigreed in the area where the five holes are...this would weaken the belt.

...the shading on the back was done with a sable brush and tan spirit dye.

The running loop is secured with what I call a 'keeper-keeper'...this is made from the same kangaroo leather that was used as a background behind the filigree work.

Peter

Belt_in_July.jpg

Back_of_the_belt.jpg

post-3307-1247103351_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1247103420_thumb.jpg

That is outstanding, I think its even better then the last one he did.

Rawhide

Where are you getting these Peter Main pictures. they are splendid.

Great pics are you friends or maybe student with/of PM?

Are you a member of the Fort worth Guild?

Happy Tooling

Tim

Rawhide

Where are you getting these Peter Main pictures. they are splendid.

Great pics are you friends or maybe student with/of PM?

Are you a member of the Fort worth Guild?

Happy Tooling

Tim

Hi Tim,

Peter is a friend of mine...We kind of developed a web friendship after I took a few of his classes. As he completes items, he sends me copies of the pictures that he posts to the IILG forum. He is a member here also, and lurks every now and then.

I am also a member of the Fort Worth Guild (Lone Star Leathercrafters).

Marlon

sweet!!!!....10 days until my classes with peter!!!!

Peter makes allways eyecatcher

very nice work like all the time

johann

He always seems to one up himself with each project.

As usual Peter makes an excellent work...

Who would not like to be the "fly on the wall" when he's working? :You_Rock_Emoticon: PM

That's incredible. I spent some time on his site the other day and was just blown away. Do you know if the lacing is dyed before it's laced, or prushed or something after it's on. His lacing always looks so incorporated, as if it's just the edge of the belt. I assume hr burnished the lacing once it's on the belt?

Here's a new one from Peter Main...

...here is a belt recently completed. It is filigreed, backed with a pebble-grain black kangaroo....the lacing is also kangaroo, dyed black. The 'finger-cuts' on the reverse are shaded with tan to make them look more interesting. This belt also has a thick filler, to give it a 'rounded' look. Note that the belt is not filigreed in the area where the five holes are...this would weaken the belt.

...the shading on the back was done with a sable brush and tan spirit dye.

The running loop is secured with what I call a 'keeper-keeper'...this is made from the same kangaroo leather that was used as a background behind the filigree work.

Peter

Edited by walletman

hi peter great belt way to going dude

make me one

love the tool work

love love love it

you rock big time

bob (walletman)

I like this belt. Very nice. The color is nice but I really like the shades.

That's incredible. I spent some time on his site the other day and was just blown away. Do you know if the lacing is dyed before it's laced, or prushed or something after it's on. His lacing always looks so incorporated, as if it's just the edge of the belt. I assume hr burnished the lacing once it's on the belt?

Your answer...

...lace is always dyed before the actual lacing process begins.

I go to some trouble when preparing kangaroo lace...I buy it (from Australia) slightly over 1/8" wide....I then stretch it...cut it back to 1/8"...then thin it to around 0.6mm...bevel the edges....then dye as required. That procedure keeps me out of trouble for some time.

When the lacing is completed, it is lightly dampened and gently hammered using a shoe hammer with a highly polished face. I then spend a lot of time with a (real) bone folder, slicking the edges until a nice roll is achieved.

Peter

Rawhide, please let Peter I think his work is very beautiful. True leather craftsman. My best, Dennis.

That's incredible how much attention he pays to the smallest details. On his stuff, each seam meets so perfectly. Goes to show that you can spend time on the smallest details, and they add up to a stunning final piece. Please tell him thank you for answering my lacing question. And thanks for posting here for him, we all appreciate that you help to get his stuff out here for us to see and learn from.

~Kenny

this looks wonderful!! Peter did very special leather work and I'm so happy that I can take part on one of his next work shops.

Only 11 weeks then he will held a filigree belt workshop here in Germany and I can take part. I'm looking forward all the time. This will become great.